Saturday, January 16, 2016

Caturday Art

For today's Caturday Art blog hop hosted by the pawesome Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty, I'm sharing another drawing I've created in my fun and goofy (or perhaps weird and wild are better terms) art series starring the furbabies in my life. So far you've seen my sweet angel Rosie as a one-eyed pirate, Astrid as Dogzilla, and my boy Evan as none other than a mercat (a mermaid cat). This weeks it's my girl Thimble's turn, so what crazy idea did I use to draw her?

As always, let me preface this piece with a little explanation. Thimble, along with her three brothers, were rescued by my family at the ripe old age of three weeks. At that time, and for a long time thereafter, Thimble had a meow that was very low, grumbly, and gravelly. Her strangely low, rumbling meow always sounded very mechanical and robotic to me, and so very early on I started calling her by the nickname of RoboKitty. I still call Thimble that on occasion because, although now nearly two years later her meow is not quite as blatantly robotic-sounding as it used to be, it nevertheless still has that quality to it.

And so, that brings me to this art piece, starring RoboKitty:
Have a lovely Caturday, furiends!


***


***
Our Tip of the Day:
If you're feeling crafty, you can make your own upcycled cat scratchers using recycled cardboard boxes. The corrugated edges of shipping boxes make the perfect scratching surface. You can start simple by cutting out numerous long, rectangular pieces of carboard (try to keep them as consistently shaped and sized as possible). Then you line up all these pieces with the corrugated edges facing up, creating the scratching surface, and attach them all together. You can use non-toxic glue or another safe adhesive method to attach each neighboring piece together, and at the end you can also wrap and adhere a border around the scratcher's edges, such as one cut out of paper bag material. Once you've got the hang of it, you can have a lot of fun experimenting with shape, size, and overall design of these handmade cat scratchers. (My mom makes handmade cat scratchers this way. What's more, before gifting them to the kitties, she stores them in a bag with catnip, and the kitties love it!)

17 comments:

Marg said...

Oh Thimble, that drawing of you is just the greatest. It made our Mom smile big time. You look soooooooooo cute with that little smile on your face. Great idea for a scratcher. You all have a great week end.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

lorraines resources and rewards said...

your art is just lovely do you journal? thanks for the tip about the scratching post frankie loves to paw everything thanks for sharing zen hugs and purrrs from frankie

pilch92 said...

I love your art and the story behind it. Great tip about cardboard scratchers.

Mickey's Musings said...

So nice to see Robokitty :)
We love the back story too.
We are going to check out your other siblings :)
Purrs Georgia and Julie,
Treasure and JJ

Annie Bear said...

How adorable about RoboKitty's, I mean Thimble, meow. I love your picture of your pretty girl! That's a great idea about making scratchers from boxes. I may give this a try.

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Excellent art!

Purrs xx
Athena and Marie

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That is a very cute picture of Thimble as Robokitty. That is a good tip about making scratchers.

Anonymous said...

Pawsum drawin' of Thimble. As fur da tip, dat wuld be pawsum. But weez never seen a box wiff corrugated edges?. Have a pawsum day.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Lexi

The Daily Pip said...

Robo Kitty is a great name! Love the drawing, too. I enjoy all your drawings They would make great illustrations in a children's book.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

That's so cute! I love how you put each pet's unique purr-sonality into your art!

Peaches and Paprika said...

Truuuly adorable!

Kitties Blue said...

I just love your art. I think you should put it together in a book. Hugs, Janet

The Island Cats said...

We love this drawing of Thimble as Robo Kitty!

Cathy Keisha said...

What a cute drawing.

meowmeowmans said...

Love that cardboard box/cat scratcher tip! :)

Thimble makes the most adorable RoboKitty we've ever seen.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

you are soooo incredibly talented...if you do not have a book already, you sure need to have one! xoxoxo catchatwithcarenandcody