Friday, February 2, 2018

Happy Friday!

We're happy to be wishing you all a happy Friday! After all, Friday is one of our favorite days of the week. This Friday, just like every Friday, we're participating in the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, hosted by the wonderful Ellen of 15andmeowing and Annie of McGuffy's Reader.


Our hosts always give us four fantastic fill-ins each week. Here are this week's:

1. Trust _________.
2. I would protest _________.
3. I have _________ since _________.
4. Right now, I _________.

I always try to keep my wits about me when filling in these fantastic fill-ins, but sometimes I fall short. I'll let you all be the judge of my answers.

1. "Trust yourself. You know more than you think you do." -Benjamin Spock
(Wise words, Dr. Spock.)

2. I would protest declawing.
(Do you want to hear a sad truth? My Angel Rosie was declawed, on all four paws, the poor girl. My parents had been told by a veterinarian when they got her back in the early '90s that declawing was the best way to reduce the scratching of humans and furniture. They didn't know any better back then. Rosie ended up with arthritis in every single one of her vertebrae due to her altered ambulation from the declawing. She still lived a happy, long life of 21 years. Nevertheless, I will never, ever declaw a cat. My parents learned the truth of the matter as well, and they now have 11 fully clawed cats, with a total of 198 claws that I trim for them every 2 weeks.)

3. I have loved books since I was a toddler.
(My dad read bedtime stories to my sister and me nearly every night even when we were just very, very little girls. I loved picking out books, hearing the stories, and then reading them myself when I learned to read. I have also been collecting books since childhood, and my collection may or may not have gotten completely out of hand.)

4. Right now, I am snuggled up next to Evan.
(I went very literal with this answer. But, it's the truth. My current location is the couch. That means my momma's boy Evan is snuggled up against me. He and I are both very happy.)



***

Our regular readers probably know what's next in this Friday post. And that is...Eddy!


In true Eddy style, this shot is blurry and far less than ideal in quality. But, it does gloriously show off her adorable snaggletooth, and that's a win if you ask this momma of Eddy.

Now, yesterday, Thimble shared a petting preference chart that we colored in just for her. We got the fun little chart from lovely Mudpie's blog.


Today, we have filled it in for Eddy.


Now, let's clarify one thing. This chart pretty much only applies to me, Eddy's mom. For anyone else—except maybe my sister, whom Eddy allows to be in her presence—all of the areas of her body are a big fat "NO!!" For me, though, Eddy loves head rubs, back rubs, and even (perhaps especially) belly rubs. It's pretty much just the legs and the tooshie that are typically a no-no.

We hope all of you friends of ours have a fabulous Friday!




***
Our Doodle of the Day:

Happy Groundhog Day!




***
Our Tip of the Day:
With February being Spay/Neuter Awareness Month, we are giving some tips on this significant topic over the next couple of days. Today, we have a few words on how a kitty or pup's health can benefit from being spayed or neutered. Just to give a couple of examples, spaying a female cat or dog can eliminate the risk of uterine cancer or infection, and can reduce the risk of mammary cancer. For male cats and dogs, neutering can eliminate the concern of testicular cancer and can reduce the risk of diseases of the prostate. Of course, pregnancy itself can be risky, so a spayed cat or dog is also free of unexpected pregnancy and the dangers that come with it. There are a great many other health benefits that can potentially result for having a cat or dog spayed or neutered. Due to their reduced risks of various diseases, spayed or neutered cats and dogs are sometimes more likely to live longer, healthier lives. So, of course, spay and neuter your pets! And, as we mentioned yesterday, also consider assisting with or donating to the neutering efforts of feral colonies, so that these furbabies can also live as healthy of lives as possible.

11 comments:

Marg said...

We really liked your fill-ins, especially the declawing story. I hope a lot of people read read that.
A very Happy Ground hog day to all of you too. The doodle is just terrific of Phil. You all have a wonderful day.

Sandee said...

Declawing used to be recommended. I so remember. It's not a good thing. Not at all.

I linked this post to Feline Friday.

Have a purrfect day, Eddy. My best to your mom. ♥

Kathe W. said...

great fill=ins-have a lovely day!

pilch92 said...

How sad that vets used to be for declawing. I am glad Rosie still had a wonderful life despite this. How nice of you to trim all those claws every 2 weeks. Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers. I think it is so sweet that your Dad used to read to you and your sister every night. Very cute photo of Eddy and I like the drawing of Phil too :) Excellent tips as well. Have a nice weekend!

Eastside Cats said...

Okay, okay...HOLD THE PHONE! "My parents learned the truth of the matter as well, and they now have 11 fully clawed cats"! And why aren't we the recipients of the photos of these eleven beauties?!? Hope you can introduce us to them sometime. Paws need claws; declawing is NOT good for the cat, and if you want your couch more than the health of the cat...then leave the cat at the shelter!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Eddy is such a pretty girl.

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

Awww! I love that Eddy is so happy to be petted! Don't get me started on declawing. We got Kitty when I was in junior high and when the vet scheduled the spay, they just assumed we'd want her declawed (front only) at the same time. The day we brought her home, I set her down and her paws broke open - blood flying everywhere. We called the vet and she said there was nothing they could do. Kitty wasn't a snuggle cat, but I held her for the rest of the day so her paws didn't break open again (she finally cried herself to sleep). I was so disgusted by the whole thing that I knew then and there it was wrong. It wasn't until 10 years later that I learned what really happens. Kitty quit playing afterward - and probably had arthritis. I've tried to help people understand what happens - why it's not good - but they just get overly emotional that they'd never do anything to hurt their cat - their cats live x years or more (18, 20, whatever) - so it must not be harmful. I said, "Just because they were alive doesn't mean they had a good quality of life" and just dropped it. I wish it was just banned like it is in other countries. I wish people were more open to hearing about what it means - instead of being pig-headed that they'd never hurt their cats. That might be true ... but declawing DOES hurt!

Lone Star Cats said...

Luv your snaggletooth Eddy!

My momma did a groundhog drawing today too.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

That snaggletooth just kills me!!! I've always been the same way about books. Even in my crib I had a stack of books in one corner and a cat in the other. Not much has changed except I moved into a big girl bed LOL

Cathy Keisha said...

When Gramma got Faith in the '70s, everyone told her she had to get Faith spayed and declawed at the same time so she did. All four paws. Faith healthy her whole life but when she came home with her paws all bandages, Gramma cried and said never again.

Anonymous said...

Good answers. Nope. We do not declaw, either. Nor do our vets. I love your artwork and how you use it. Thank you for being a positive.Hugs.