Saturday, April 21, 2018

A Sheepish Saturday

We of course have a bit of a doodle to share with you all today. It is our contribution for both the A to Z Challenge and lovely Athena's Caturday Art blog hop.



Today's A to Z Challenge letter is S. And, as usual, we're following our theme of putting animal-inspired twists on classic story titles. To be honest, I had a bit of trouble with S. There are certainly classics out there that start with S, and I even had ideas for how to give some of them an animal twist. But, I wasn't really liking any of the ideas I came up with.

So, I asked my family to start throwing S titles at me, and my dad offered A Separate Peace by John Knowles. That was one of my favorite books from my high school English courses, so I really liked the thought of using it. I couldn't think of how to fit it in with my theme, though, and so I asked my dad if he had any ideas. He immediately said, "How about A Separate Fleece?" And I figured, why not? So, here you go:


I know I just drew sheep very much like these fellas for a recent doodle, but I hope you don't mind the repeat subject matter. Also, I promise there are more kitty titles and doodles coming up very, very soon! It feels strange not drawing kitties or pups every day. This A to Z really is a challenge.

We hope each and every one of you is having a wonderful weekend!




***
Our Tip of the Day:

In case you forgot, April is Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month. And, in case you forgot, we're doing a short series of tips on this topic. Today, we have a simple tip on how you can help prevent cruelty and neglect of animals. And that is, simply, to adopt your furbabies from shelters or rescues. Though there are indeed reputable and responsible breeders out there, there are also, unfortunately, a vast number of backyard breeders and puppy and kitty mills where animals are inhumanely treated as nothing but tools for the sake of human profit. By purchasing from such breeders or from pet shops, you are supporting the cruel treatment of the animals used by these breeders. So, please always consider adopting from shelters and rescues!

Also, as we're certain you already know, please also have your kitties and pups spayed or neutered. In addition, if you are able to do, consider assisting with trap-neuter-release (TNR) programs, which help reduce overpopulation both in the wild and in the shelter system. Strays, ferals, and even intact house pets can contribute to a large number of kittens and puppies being born in the wild. Sadly, these outdoor animals can make accessible and easy targets for cruel treatment from humans who wish them harm. We have all heard the terrible stories of animal cruelty inflicted on innocent creatures living outdoors. So, for more reasons than one, please also spay and neuter your pets, and consider assisting in TNR programs.

10 comments:

Marg said...

The sheep are terrific. Love the drawing. You all have a wonderful day.

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Great drawing!

Purrs xx
Athena and Marie

pilch92 said...

I love your A-Z creation, very cute drawing. I used to collect things with sheep on them, I still have a blanket and a bunch of Christmas ornaments. Excellent tips too.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

I like your choice for S! cute sheep!

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Those sheep look so cute and cuddly.

The Island Cats said...

This is a good one! We love the sheep.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I love how you're using so many different kinds of animals! Although the kitties will always be our favorites ;)

Cathy Keisha said...

I like the sheep even if they're not cats. I''m surprised you didn't do The Scarett Setter but Astrid might have gotten upset since I don't think she's a setter.

Deborah Weber said...

Fun theme, great title alteration, and fabulous drawing!

Eastside Cats said...

TNR works! Hello the happy faces on the sheep!