Monday, October 5, 2015

A Fishy Weekend

There are two new additions to the family - two pretty betta fish! At my furbabies' previous home, they had a frog in a tank they loved to watch and interact with. I love all animals, but amphibians and reptiles aren't really my thing. They're certainly fun to watch, but not quite as cuddly as I like, and they and their living arrangements take a little more picky upkeep than is my preference.

I wanted my furbabies to have something to interact with, though, since I know they love that so much. So, I decided on some betta fish. I think I have a relatively decent system going along now (with my fish-loving dad's help, that is), allowing the furbabies to watch the fish while also ensuring that the fish aren't stressed by the furbabies' enthusiasm.

In setting up the fish in their tanks over the past few days, I've been getting lots of help...
(I apologize for the low quality of the video. Someday I may develop the gumption to purchase an actual video recorder. I'm just not great with change, or new devices, or this thing called technology.)

Now, you see that white rod strung up in front of the tanks? That quickly became a necessity, when certain furbabies (Toby, ahem, Toby) displayed a constant desire to bear hug the tanks and, as a result, nearly drag them out of their little cubby of safety (even with the tanks filled with water...the boy is very strong).

As a side note, that video was from the early stages of the setup. It's looking a lot better now, with a light set up for the fish. And I'm happy to report that, with a lamp set up for light and warmth, as well as daily meals and entertainment from the world beyond, the fish are doing great. We were at first worried that the two of them would see each other and get all puffed up and fight between the glass of their tanks (after all, betta fish are also known as "fighting fish"). However, that has not been the case at all. I was going to put a divider up between the tanks if needed, but so far I've been able to avoid that.

Happy Monday, everybuddy!

5 comments:

Annie Bear said...

Oh, how fun! I had a female betta that I kept at work. I had her (Trixie) for a few years. I brought her home when our office moved locations but the cats didn't care at all. How neat that your kitties are entertained by them. I think that's great. When we were out of town just recently and had to board Pierrot & Annie, they had mice in a little cage in their suite with them. I never found out if P& A were entertained by them.

Toby sounds like he really enjoys those fish!

The Island Cats said...

We bet these fishies will be fun to watch.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

everyone seems to be quite smitten!
catchatwithcarenandcody

pilch92 said...

That was sweet of you to get them their own pets :)

meowmeowmans said...

How cool! Well, this certainly seems like a great setup for everybuddy!

It sounds like Toby really, um, loves those fish. :)