Friday, October 2, 2026

Friendly Fill-Ins and...Here's Eddy!

Hello and happy Friday, friends! We're ready for the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, and we'd love for you to join us. My amazing co-host Ellen of 15andmeowing came up with the first two fill-in statements, and I came up with the second two.


1. I plan to _________ and _________ in October.

2. _________ was the highlight of my week.

3. 'Tis the season for _________.

4. Though a lot of people like _________, I can't stand it.


My answers are below in bold, and are yet again accompanied by far too much rambling. I apologize, but I'm admittedly in a bit of an anxiously wordy mood.

1. I plan to watch lots of Halloween movies and finish all of my new Halloween drawings in October.
(I go to my parents' house every Tuesday and Thursday night to watch horror movies with my dad. In October, we always make a list of movies that take place around Halloween. Many are repeats we watch every year, and some are new. I look forward to this every October. I also put on other nostalgic Halloween movies at my house as often as I can. As for the second part of my answer, though things have gotten pretty chaotic in my family, I'm still trying my absolute best to finish all of my new Halloween doodles I've outlined for this year. I am waiting on a restock of my markers to arrive in the mail, so hopefully those show up soon.)

2. Seeing my parents' cat Trapper play in the bathtub was the highlight of my week.
(That might sound a bit odd or specific, but it's for a good reason. My week took a huge downturn when my parents' kitty Trapper, who is my girl Thimble's littermate, was diagnosed with cancer. Right now, all signs point to the discovered tumor being a pancreatic carcinoma, which is pretty much a worst case scenario. My mom is waiting to know what day the local university veterinary teaching hospital can see him for a consult at their oncology department. With the very short time most cats survive with this cancer, we're hoping they can see him very, very soon. All that to say, despite his significant weight loss, muscle loss, and dehydration, as well as his odd skin issues that we learned are cancer-related paraneoplastic dermatitis, Trapper is still trying to do some of his usual things. He's always loved playing in the bathtub, and my dad says he's still been doing that every morning. What's more, sweet Trapper asked me to turn the bath water on for him when I was at their house last night. I loved seeing that, and of course I happily complied.)

3. 'Tis the season for Christmas shopping.
(I easily could have put yet another Halloween answer here, and I almost did. But, the reality is that by Halloween, I'm usually well into my Christmas shopping. I've already done quite a bit of it already, and this month I have a few more things I intend on purchasing for family Christmas gifts. I've never been much of a procrastinator, because that makes me anxious. So, even while I'm in the midst of Halloween fun that I enjoy so much, I'm also thinking about Christmas.)

4. Though a lot of people like all things pumpkin spice, I can't stand it.
(Here's the thing: I love pumpkin pie. When I make pumpkin pie, though, I add a healthy dose of cinnamon, and then either no other spices or only a tiny bit of ginger and cloves. I prefer just the cinnamon. I also love other baked pumpkin goods that have very pumpkin-y flavors rather than the spicy side of things. The spice part of that usually overwhelms my taste buds. So, when it comes to actual pumpkin spice and everything flavored like it, I'm not really a fan.)


Now it's your turn!
To add your link to the Friendly Fill-Ins Linky list, just click HERE!
You can also click on the badge below to add your link.


You are also welcome to complete the fill-ins in the comments below,
or in the comments on Ellen's blog, 15andmeowing.



***

Are you ready for your Eddy fix? Today we have a flashback for you, and it's a favorite of mine. Eddy's photo today also goes with an old doodle I scribbled up a couple years ago. So, let's begin with Eddy, who doesn't believe in personal space in the bathroom. See?


Every time Eddy tries to break into the bathroom like this, it reminds me of the scene in The Shining when the crazed main character tries to force his way through a door. You know that famous "Here's Johnny!" scene? Either way, I made this version of it for Eddy, but of course I Halloweenified it.




***
Tip of the Day

As we mentioned yesterday, we're dedicating October to tips all about Halloween. We already discussed keeping wreaths, garland, and other similar Halloween decor either pet-friendly or out of your furbaby's reach. Today, we're expanding on this with a tip that we've covered in a variety of ways in past tips. We're talking, yet again, about candles. This time of year, candles often become more popular because of cool weather, and because of the delicious scents often associated with this season of autumn. What's more, candles often come into play when we carve jack-o'-lanterns. These carved pumpkins can pose just as much of a risk as open candle flames. Curious paws or faces, or even wagging tails, could be burned by candles out in the open or those in a pumpkin. Fire could also result if a kitty or pup knocks over a candle, or a jack-o'-lantern containing a candle.

For the above reasons and more, light plain candles or those in jack-o'-lanterns only if they are safely out of reach of your furbaby, even if that means lighting them in a room not accessible to your kitty or pup. It is also of course best that candles or jack-o'-lanterns be left lit only if you are available to monitor the situation. If you are not able to keep an eye on a candle, jack-o'-lantern, and nearby furbabies, then do not leave any flames lit.

Candles and jack-o'-lanterns can make for very festive decor. However, flames can of course pose a risk to your furbaby, and also to your home in general. Therefore, always put the safety of your furbaby and everyone else in the home first when it comes to fiery festivities this time of year.

No comments: