Thursday, January 8, 2015

Operation Rosie Update

I dropped Rosie off at the vet first thing this morning for her eye removal (enucleation) surgery. As I'm sure was obvious in my previous posts, I was a nervous wreck, especially since Rosie's age (21), renal disease, and heart murmur put her at a high risk for anesthesia.

Well, the vet just called, and...Rosie did great during surgery and is already recovering! There are no words to describe how relieved I am. Thank you all for the purrs and prayers, as I know they helped!

A couple of years ago Rosie's previous vet told me that, given everything she's been through and survived these past few years, Rosie must be something along the lines of "bionic". There may be some truth to that, as Rosie is one tough cookie. On that note, when the vet called today I was told that during surgery her heart rate stayed between 120-140, which is pretty much perfect, especially for a cat Rosie's age and with a heart murmur. The vet said that Rosie just sailed right through the surgery.

Now I'm just counting down the minutes until I can go get Rosie tonight and take her home. I don't care if she's down an eye. In fact, I'll think she'll be adorable one-eyed!

I think I'll post a "before" and "after" picture of Rosie soon, to give you all an idea how bad the eye was and how cute she is now without it.

1 comment:

Annie Bear said...

Oh, thank you for the update! This is wonderful news! I'm so happy to hear it!

As I'm sure you know, you're blessed to have your girl at this age. My Lucy, who died in 2013 at age 17 of bladder cancer, is so missed by me. I have such a heart for senior kitties.