Thursday, January 1, 2015

Purrs and prayers for Rosie please!

I'd like to request purrs and prayers for my sweet, 21-year-old Rosie please!

I'll begin by saying that overall Rosie's health is doing well. Her renal disease is still being well-maintained, and she is eating well and acting happy. Therefore, I don't want to be an alarmist. However, in case you don't remember my mentioning it in my first post about her, Rosie has a "bad eye". Her ocular issues began years ago (as in, roughly fifteen years ago). Long story short, Rosie has been essentially blind in her right eye for a long time, and over time the eye also started to become increasingly discolored as well as more bulbous. Her vet had noted that glaucoma could occur at some point down the line, but that since Rosie had not been displaying any pain or discomfort due to her eye neither treatment nor eye removal seemed necessary. The vet did, of course, inform us to continue monitoring the eye.

So we have been monitoring Rosie's eye, and now a sudden and honestly quite alarming change has occurred. Rosie's eye has quite suddenly and quite severely changed color and shape, and it has started secreting an excessive amount of discharge. Rosie is essentially acting as if nothing is out of the ordinary -- she has been begging for food, talking to me, and cuddling and purring all as usual. Of course her usual vet was closed today for the New Year holiday, but I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning (unless Rosie's ocular disturbance starts to progress more rapidly and turns into an emergency situation, in which case I'll take her to the emergency vet tonight).

I would guess the best case scenario is that Rosie somehow bumped and injured the eye -- which was already fragile -- and may need some antibiotics or other such medications. There's also a very small chance that some dental issues Rosie has recently developed could have spurred a change in her eye. On the other hand, Rosie's "bad eye" could have, after all these years, simply reached its point of no return and require removal at this point. Rosie is otherwise happy and maintaining her old girl health, so if removal of the eye is the way to keep her happy and as healthy as possible then I will absolutely move forward with surgery. Of course the thought of surgery makes me more than a bit anxious, especially since Rosie being renal and her having a heart murmur does increase her risk under anesthesia. But, I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there.
This picture is a few weeks old, and it gives a relatively good idea of the typical abnormal appearance of Rosie's right eye. Except, as of today, her eye looks far worse.
I'll do my best to keep you posted after I call the vet tomorrow and after I take Rosie in.

Thank you in advance for the purrs and prayers for my sweet old Rosie!

No comments: