Friday, August 25, 2023

Friendly Fill-Ins and Photo Fails

Hello, friends! We're ready for the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, and we'd love for you to join us. My amazing co-host Ellen of 15andmeowing came up with the first two, and I came up with the second to.


1. A word I have trouble pronouncing is _________.

2. A word I usually spell wrong is _________.

3. If _________, my life would be very different.

4. _________ is the best way to _________.


My answers are below in bold.

1. A word I have trouble pronouncing is lawyer.
(I know most people seem to pronounce it like loyer, but I've always pronounced it exactly as it's spelled, as in law-yer. I don't even know if it's technically wrong to pronounce it like that, because I've seen and heard dictionary pronunciations that indicate my way is acceptable. Either way, I've pronounced it this way since I was a kid, and I can't kick that habit, and over the years I've been corrected on my pronunciation more than once. How do you all pronounce the word lawyer?)

2. A word I usually spell wrong is occurred.
(When it comes to time to spell that word, I suddenly can never remember how many Cs and Rs it has. I have to look it up every single time, or simply rely on my computer's spell check.)

3. If my parents hadn't adopted cats and dogs when I was a young child, my life would be very different.
(I am certain I would still be an animal lover even if I didn't have pets at a young age. After all, my parents have told me stories about how before we had pets, I'd crawl or scurry after neighbors' dogs and cats. We even have a family video of my sister and I trick-or-treating, and when one door opens my sister yells, "Trick or treat!" at the same time that I excitedly shout, "A dog!" That said, I'm so grateful that I got to enjoy a childhood enriched with feline and canine friends. One of those was my kitty angel Rosie, who was with me from the time I was 4 until I was 26. I will forever be grateful for that companionship, and for the lessons she and all of my childhood animals taught me.)

4. Cuddling a kitty is the best way to start and end your day.
(All of my kitties are cuddly in their own way, by my little shadow Evan is almost always at my side both when I wake up and when I fall asleep. I am so grateful for those cuddle times, and they make every day better.)


Now it's your turn!
To add your link to the Friendly Fill-Ins Linky list, just click HERE!
You can also click on the badge below to add your link.


You are also welcome to complete the fill-ins in the comments below,
or in the comments on Ellen's blog, 15andmeowing.



***

And now it's time for the Pet Photo Fails Blog Hop, hosted by none other than Melissa and Mudpie of Melissa's Mochas, Mysteries, & Meows.


You better believe our resident blooper queen Eddy is more than ready to share an outtake...or three. Today's bloopers are brought to you by your classic Eddy blurriness mixed with poor lighting.




Happy Friday, friends!



***
Flashback Doodle of the Day

Today's flashback is yet another spooky doodle scribbled up last summer. It was based on a piece of Halloween decor I saw, that being a candle holder in the form of a witchy hand. This was my recreation of that.




***
Tip of the Day

We hope you're not getting bored with our tips on feline vet visits, because we still have some more for you. Today's tip is to, if needed, take precautions for the safety of both yourself and your kitty, namely when it comes time to load a kitty up. We're primarily referring to how to safely get an anxious or aggressive kitty into a carrier. We've already given tips on using methods such as leaving the carrier out, putting treats or toys in it, using Feliway, and even using sedating medications if needed. That all being said, for some cats, some or all of the aforementioned methods simply won't work. Even sedatives can be overridden if a cat becomes agitated enough. In such cases, it is important to take precautions to keep you and your cat safe when it comes time to get said kitty in a carrier.

When getting an anxious or aggressive cat into a carrier, a simple towel or blanket could potentially be your best friend. Wrapping your cat in a towel, and putting them in the carrier when they are thus confined, can potentially keep those claws and teeth in check. At the same time, make sure that you have the sufficiently sized carrier placed in a way that loading the cat is as easy as possible. This may mean using a top-loading carrier, or placing a front-loading carrier on its back side so that the door faces up. If a towel or blanket is not enough protection, then you can also look into using thick gloves specifically designed to keep kitty teeth and claws from penetrating, thereby keeping your hands and arms safe.

Some cats are simply less willing to visit the vet and are overall less amenable than others. Differences in personality are part of what make kitties so unique, after all. That being said, if your cat is one who is anxious, aggressive, or otherwise difficult to handle, always take precautions to keep everyone involved safe when vet appointments roll around. When in doubt, of course discuss with your veterinarian the best options for handling your cat.

7 comments:

pilch92 said...

I enjoyed all your fill-in answers. I had a similar answer for #4. I have trouble spelling that word too, but I do pronounce lawyer as loyer. :) Eddy's photos are too cute to be bloopers. I like the drawing and your tips are great. Cats seem to have extra legs when trying to crate them. :) Have a nice weekend. XO

Eastside Cats said...

Cutie Eddy!
All I know, is I never want to have to use the services of a lawyer, however it's said.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Cute bloopers! I LOL'd at your Trick or Treat story...I can see myself doing the same thing!

meowmeowmans said...

We do love us some Eddy, so whatever photos -- even bloopers -- you share are always appreciated. :)

Great fill-ins. Especially #4!

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

Eddy is looking totally fang'a'licious!!! And supurr fill-ins, and we totally agree with #3, growing up with anipals and rescue anipals makes a huge difference to whether mew have anipals as an adult.

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Good answers and cute "photo fails"

messymimi said...

Your pronunciation is just fine, and many words with doubled letters can be a pill to remember how to spell.

Thanks for the pictures of Eddy, bloopers or not, I do enjoy seeing her.