Friday, June 14, 2024

Friendly Fill-Ins and Eddy Yet Again in the Window

Hello, friends! We're ready for the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, and we'd love for you to join us. My amazing co-host Ellen of 15andmeowing came up with the first two fill-in statements, and I came up with the second two.


1. _________ is a quality of mine that I am proud of.

2. _________ is a quality of mine I would like to change.

3. Though I find _________ boring, _________ really interests me.

4. Believe it or not, I deal with _________ on a regular basis.


My answers are below in bold.

1. Imagination is a quality of mine that I am proud of.
(I know I don't have the most vast or most brilliant imagination in the world, but I have just enough imagination that I constantly have ideas for things to draw, write, and that sort of thing. I really do love that about myself, even if it's sometimes overwhelming to be unable to fit all of my ideas into the free time I have.)

2. Analysis paralysis is a quality of mine I would like to change.
(Have you ever heard of this? I recently came upon the term analysis paralysis, which was used to describe overthinking a problem or decision to the point of inaction. I feel like I struggle with this, especially when it comes to deciding which of my passions or life goals to work on in my free time outside of work and chores. I often get little to nothing of my personal goals done when I find myself constantly overthinking my options, but now that I've realized that, I'm working toward better achieving my passions and making more progress.)

3. Though I find gardening boring, nature really interests me.
(I'm just not someone who has the patience to garden, it would seem. That said, I love being outside, at least when it's neither freezing cold nor sweltering hot. In seasons like autumn, I love the outdoors, going for walks, hiking, and that sort of thing. I love nature, I just don't really enjoy the meticulousness of gardening myself.)

4. Believe it or not, I deal with chloroform on a regular basis.
(I work in a chemistry lab, where one of the main solvents we use is chloroform. Though you certainly don't want to directly huff or drink the stuff, it's really not as scary to be around as a lot of people think. Though the stuff has been used as an anesthetic for centuries, movies make chloroform look like some fast-acting weapon that can take someone out in seconds, but that's really not true.)


Now it's your turn!
To add your link to the Friendly Fill-Ins Linky list, just click HERE!
You can also click on the badge below to add your link.


You are also welcome to complete the fill-ins in the comments below,
or in the comments on Ellen's blog, 15andmeowing.



***

Yet again, your Eddy fix today comes in the form of the tabby girl distracted by the view out her beloved window.


Eddy's wishing you all lots of sunny window views today! And if it's as hot in your corner of the world as it is in ours, be sure to enjoy that sunshine from the cool indoors!



***
Flashback Doodle of the Day




***
Tip of the Day

Today's tip is going to be a bit of a long one, because it's all about how to introduce cats to each other, such as when bringing a new cat home. To be honest, the circumstances and methods of cat introductions can vary, especially depending on the cats involved. Some cats love other cats, some are not fond of other cats, and some are anywhere in between. Just like humans, every cat is different, and every cat has its preferences for who and what is around them. That being said, below we will indeed discuss some of the steps that can be taken to help properly introduce cats to each other.

Let's begin by saying that, though it is certainly not a cure-all for cat introductions, you can give Feliway a try. For long-term use (such as approximately 30 or so days), you can invest in a Feliway diffuser (refills can be purchased for these diffusers). There is also Feliway spray on the market, though a spray's effects do not last nearly as long as a diffuser's. If you are using a Feliway diffuser, it is often recommended that you plug it in roughly 2 weeks prior to an event such as bringing home a new cat, so that the pheromones are already in the home prior to the change.

Moving on, as we already mentioned in a previous tip, of course have somewhere safe for the new kitty to stay once they arrive at their new home. For example, a spare bedroom or a bathroom can make a safe area for a new cat. At this point, it is often best to have a sturdy barrier between the cats, something through which they cannot see each other, such as a door. This way, the cats can smell each other without having to take in the sight of a strange cat. Getting used to the scent of a new cat can be a crucial step before visual contact is made. If safe and feasible, you can even swap the cats' bedding, so that they learn the other's scent this way.

During the aforementioned non-visual olfactory meet-and-greet, there may indeed be hissing or growling. When this hissing and growling is only mild or nonexistent, at that point you try to start allowing the cats to see each other. Of course, using some sort of barrier is still advised, to ensure that no fights occur at the sight of each other. You can use a safe and sturdy baby gate, for example, or even a screen door. If there is hissing, growling, or other signs of aggression, stop the session and give both cats a break from seeing each other. You can repeat this exercise for short spurts, perhaps even multiple times a day, until the aggression diminishes.

The next phase of the introduction is of course best begun only when previous signs of aggression have significantly decreased or disappeared. When the sight of each other no longer spurs hissing, growling, or other aggression, then you can start considering allowing a more direct meet-and-greet. Of course, only do this with heavy supervision. In other words, as you allow the cats to enter the same proximity, without any barrier between them, be very, very watchful. Look for any and all cues that aggression might occur, and if that is the case, stop the session and separate the cats as needed, and then try again when both cats are calm. As a side note, in the potential case of a cat fight, have on hand something safe, such as a towel, that could help you break up the fight.

It may very well take time and lots of patience to get cats used to each other. No matter what phase of introduction you're at, continue safe meet-and-greet sessions as often as is possible and plausible, even if these are best kept brief at first. Getting new cats used to each may indeed take a lot of repetitive exercises such as those listed above. The main yet simple thing to keep in mind is that this will likely take time and patience. Forcing cats to meet in a hasty manner can lead to any number of issues, including aggression or even litter box aversion. While I wish I could say there is a textbook method that guarantees easy, successful cat introductions, that's simply not the case. Just remember to be patient, do not force it, help the cats get to know each other on their own terms and timeline, and closely monitor them until they are well acquainted and have learned to safely like, tolerate, or ignore each other.

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

Great week of fill ins. Eddy is a cutie. My girls love looking out the window. Have a great weekend!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

You do have an amazing imagination! I'm not a gardener either. Both of my cucumber plants are already dead. I don't know what happened to them. Mudpie is soaking up the sun every minute too!

messymimi said...

I can't garden, I have a black thumb. Nature is fascinating, however, and I love learning about it.

It's wonderful to see Eddy, wherever she is looking.

Thank you for co-hosting the fill-ins!

pilch92 said...

I enjoyed all your answers to the fill-ins- #4 did surprise me. Cute shot of Eddy and I like the drawing. Excellent tips that I need to follow for Dusty. XO

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

Pawesome fill-ins, and oh wow, chloroform!!! Eddy looks furbulous as usual!