Friday, December 16, 2016

Festive Friday

Can you believe that Christmas is only a little over a week away? Though we're feeling the crunch, we're also feeling very festive these days. That's why we were especially excited when we saw that this week's Friendly Fill-Ins, hosted by 15andmeowing and McGuffy's Reader, were perfectly festive themselves!


Here are the festive fill-ins for this week:

1. My favorite Christmas song(s) is/are _________, but I could do without hearing _________ ever again.

2. My most meaningful Christmas ornament/decoration is _________, because _________.

3. My favorite holiday treat is _________.

4. A holiday tradition in my house is _________.

And here's what I came up with:

1. My favorite Christmas songs are those by Mannheim Steamroller and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but I could do without hearing "The Christmas Shoes" ever again.
(I love instrumental Christmas music, and nothing beats good ol' Mannheim Steamroller. The Transiberian Orchestra is a bit of a newer discovery for me, but I quickly grew fond of their style of festive pieces as well. That being said, has anyone else heard the song called "The Christmas Shoes"? The local radio stations playing Christmas music around here love to play that song, and it's just too darn sad for Christmastime, if you ask me. I know it has a beautiful message hidden beneath those tearful lyrics, but regardless, if it comes on, I promptly turn the channel.)

2. My most meaningful Christmas ornament is a picture frame ornament my grandmother got me a couple years ago, because it now holds a drawing of my angel Rosie.
(My grandma gets me at least one ornament for Christmas each year. A couple of years ago, when my Rosie was still with me, my grandma got me a picture frame ornament that says "cats leave paw prints on your heart". Having grown up with Rosie and then having to say goodbye to her in May of 2015, last Christmas was my first one in my memory without her. As I put ornaments on my tree last year, it meant so much to me when I stumbled upon that ornament my grandma had given me, which I had somehow forgotten all about. I immediately sat down and did a quick sketch of Rosie so that she could be part of the Christmas tree decorating that very night, just as she always had been in the past. I wrote a post about this ornament of Rosie's after I created it last year, which you can read here.)

3. My favorite holiday treat is anything with mint.
(I love mint, and this is the perfect time of year to indulge in that. And if it involves mint and chocolate, all the better.)

4. A holiday tradition in my house is the making of Nutter Butter Santas.
(Years ago I happened upon a recipe for turning a Nutter Butter cookie into Santa Claus. You start by dipping each end of the cookie in melted white almond bark. One end remains as Santa's white beard, while the other end is decorated with red sprinkles and a white frosting pom-pom, thus turning it into Santa's hat. Then you give him a face with frosting or candy or something of the delicious sort, and there you have a Nutter Butter Santa! I now make these every year. Which reminds me, I need to get on that.)

We're not stopping the festivities there, though. No, siree. Eddy herself wants to help continue the Christmasy goodness of this post.

It all began when I tried to snap another shot of Eddy frolicking in the tree the other night. Not wanting to be caught in the act, though, she jumped out of the tree and tried to play innocent beneath it.


Doesn't she make a purrfect gift under there?

For today's festive art, I had intended on drawing none other than a monkey in a Santa hat, in honor of Eddy's monkeying around. Alas, though, I did not get said monkey completed, so you'll have to settle for this Santa donkey instead:


Have a festive  Friday!


***
Our Tip of the Day:
Are you still looking for a little something to get your kitty for Christmas? One idea is to, if you haven't already done so, give your kitty something a little different than catnip to get happy on. For example, you can try getting them a batch of silver vine, or a toy containing it. Another idea is to go classic and get your kitty a yarn ball for Christmas. Of course, be safe about this and make sure there are no loose strings or ends (remember the tip from a few days ago, about the hazards of eating string?). There are actual yarn ball toys out there, though, that are safe to play with and that will give your kitty the fun that you see in all those classic images. Another idea is to donate money, goods, or time to a shelter or rescue group in your kitty's name. Your kitty enjoys a cozy life of love with you, so surely they would be happy to know that you are spreading that love to less fortunate kitties.

15 comments:

Marg said...

Yay, the donkey looking all festive. Great drawing. And Eddy, you are just too cute under the tree. You make a great present. You all have a fun day.

Annie Bear said...

Your treasured item is so precious. I'm so glad you have that ornament with Rosie's drawing.

I love chocolate mint!

I adore that picture of Eddy!

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

Eddy DOES look pretty innocent! I'm a fan of the Trans-Siberian orchestra as well ... it's about the only Christmas I'll CHOOSE to play.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Oh, Eddy, you look completely innocent! You are a precious gift. :-)


We like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra too. Have you seen their video featuring a little girl and a kitten?

The Swiss Cats said...

Eddy looks so innocent ! Great fill-ins ! Purrs

Anonymous said...

Great answers. Eddy, you be lookin' gawjus. Big hugs to all

Luv ya'

Dezi and Raena

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

Eddy looks so sweet under the tree. I had never heard of the Trans Siberian Orchestra before but I now have been listening to them on You tube and love it! Just had a Mad Russian's Christmas playing which I really enjoyed and now listening to Carol of the Bells. Thank you for helping me discover them!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

"I'm not up to any mischief Mommy, honest!!!" Love your answers and that adorable photo :)

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

Christmas shoes is a very sad song. I can see why you don't want to hear it again. Have a wonderful weekend and a Merry Christmas.

pilch92 said...

Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers. I just looked back at your drawing of Rosie, I remembered it when I saw it, it is beautiful and a wonderful way to always include her in Christmas. That is amazing that you shared 22 Christmases with her. Eddy is way too cute to be that naughty :) I love The Trans Siberian Orchestra too.
Those Nutter butters sound tasty and cute- I hope you post a photo of one. And your donkey is too cute- is it Dominick?Have a great weekend!

The Island Cats said...

Aw, Eddy looks like she wants to be a present. :)

Suzanne McClendon said...

Awww that is an adorable photo of Eddy. :)
The Nutter Butter Santas sound cute and, of course, yummy!
Your Santa donkey is very nice.

Have a blessed weekend and a very Merry Christmas. :)

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Eddy sure does love her tree! Our mom has seen Trans-Siberian Orchestra twice. They are awesome!

Cathy Keisha said...

That's a great pic of Eddy. I'm taking notes of all these least fave songs for when I DJ Christmas Eve. MOL!

Anonymous said...

I love the capture of little Eddy! xo I agree with you about mint anything! oh, yum.
Holiday Hugs!