Friday, December 30, 2016

Fill-Ins and Flying

Hello, Friday! It's the last one of the year. Isn't that strange to consider? No mind, though. We have important matters to get to today.

First up is, of course, the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, hosted by our friends over at 15andmeowing and McGuffy's Reader.


Our fill-ins for this week are still festive and perfectly timely. Here they are:

1. The highlight of my Christmas was _________.

2. My New Year's resolution is _________.

3. This year, 2016, _________.

4. Next year, 2017, _________.

I'll admit that my answers to these are perhaps a bit common and generic, but I feel like these are the kinds of fill-ins that are best answered honestly. So, here are my honest answers:

1. The highlight of my Christmas was having downtime with my family.
(Christmas is such a fun and festive and magical time of year, but one of my favorite parts is being able to just sit down with my family, have some hot cocoa and a candy cane or two, watch a Christmas movie marathon, and of course cuddle the furbabies. I think it really is the simple things that matter most.)

2. My New Year's resolution is to eat healthier.
(I know, who doesn't say this every time the New Year rolls around? But, this one is true for me this time around. First and foremost, I have a longtime habit of shoving sugar down my gullet like it's going out of style. Considering that diabetes runs in my family, and that a little self-control never killed anyone, I'm thinking that 2017 should be the year that I rein myself in.)

3. This year, 2016, was a rocky one.
(I think this year was a tough one for a lot of people. My family didn't get off to a great start, with the unexpected passing of my grandfather in early January. In March, my grandmother had a massive stroke, but she's tough and surprised her doctors by proving that she will not be given an expiration date. Of course, there are also all of the other losses we've been hearing about this year, even all the way through this last week.)

4. Next year, 2017, I am praying for blessings aplenty for one and all.
(After this year of 2016, me and mine are sending well wishes to everyone for 2017!)


Now, in case you hadn't noticed yet this week, we are still in the hearty Christmas spirit around here. Our tree is of course still up, and will be until at least January 6th. Needless to say, Eddy is one happy girl. She's loving the extra time to get to know the tree even better. So far this season, she has mastered removing its branches, spinning it around like a ballerina (forget that it weighs a solid ton, this girl is the Hulk), and making a mountainous collection of ornaments at its base. Having mastered those skills, Eddy has recently moved on to a new endeavor, and that is flying. Into the tree. From the desk nearby.




Eddy is still working on this one, and she refused to give me a preview of her progress during this photo shoot. Up until now, Eddy always just traveled from the table, to the desk, to the window sill, and then into the tree. Now, though, she is determined to make that leap into the tree from that there desk. And who am I to crush a girl's dreams?

Moving on, our next bit of festive business is today's drawing. It is the Sixth Day of Christmas, which of course means geese a-laying.


Nothing says Christmas like Eddy and a goose and half a dozen merry red eggs in a nest of tinsel.

So, with that, a very merry Sixth Day of Christmas to you all!



***
Our Tip of the Day:
Please always remember that, despite popular belief, cats are not guaranteed to be proficient jumpers or to land on all four feet. Such skill will always depend on individual physicality, health, age, and any other number of circumstances. For this reason, when decorating or arranging your home, such as in terms of cat tree and other furniture placement, please do take into consideration your individual kitty's jumping and other habits, in order to minimize the areas in the home where they could potentially harm themselves in failed attempts to jump. 

17 comments:

katie eggeman said...

My kids are enoying the 6th day in Europe, they will be celebrating the Orthodox Christmas, the 12th day in Serbia.

Marg said...

Happy New Year to all of you.Eddy, we sure hope you make it over there.You all have a great time today.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sure you will soon make it into the tree from the desk, Eddy. Me and Eric used to climb up the middle of ours. I was nimble so did it easily. Eric used to clamber up and the tree always ended up on the ground.

The Swiss Cats said...

You can do it, Eddy ! Happy New Year to all of you ! Purrs

Anonymous said...

Great answers. We don't make resolutions, but good luck. Big hugs to all

Luv ya'

Dezi and Raena

pilch92 said...

Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers. I am sorry you lost your grandfather this year and that your grandma was so sick, I will include her in my prayers. I hope we all have a better 2017. I love the drawing, cute goose. And I am most impressed with Eddy's Christmas tree stories. Some people spend money on a stand that makes the tree spin and she does it for free :) Great tip too, some of our cats seem to be arthritic so we have small footstools in places that will help them.Have a great weekend!

Lone Star Cats said...

Happy 2017!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

I am enjoying your Days of Christmas art

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Mudpie is such a little angel...in spite of my worries and as much as she loves to jump she leaves the tree alone!

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Can we come over and play in your tree with you Eddy?

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

Eddy's a feisty one ... I love the pictures! I'm surprised how many people don't understand that cats don't land on their feet in most household falls. A cat needs at least 4 feet to right itself and most of the falls in a home are less than that. Regardless, the physics of how they manage it in longer falls is pretty incredible.

Cathy Keisha said...

We still have Fraser which is a Christmas miracle. I'll bet Eddy is a pro at jumping into the tree.

meowmeowmans said...

We love your fill-ins, especially number one! Agreed, the simple things do matter the most. :)

That series of Eddy is classic. I love the blur when she turned to look at you!

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

May your 2017 be peaceful and may you be able to stick with your resolutions. Have a Happy New Year.

Suzanne McClendon said...

Good luck with your flying, Eddy, but be very careful! One of those branches could poke an eye out or something equally upsetting. But, flying can be so much fun that we don't always think about those scary things that could happen.

I love the last photo especially. It is like Eddy is saying, "What? I didn't do nuttin'!"

Have a blessed weekend and a very happy New Year!

The Island Cats said...

Eddy looks like she wants to leap to that tree! We wish you all a very happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Your kids are great as are you. Thank you for blogging with us! Happy new year!