Saturday, December 3, 2016

Ornamentation

I love Christmas and all the magic that comes with the season. And, of course, so do all of the kitties in the family.

As many of you know, my active girl Eddy loves to climb in the Christmas tree, adjust the branches, remove ornaments, make herself at home, all that jazz. My boy Evan loves the tree as well, but, being hind limb paralyzed, he tends to keep his shenanigans at the level of the lower branches. Thimble might bat at this or that ornament, chew on a branch here and there, or maybe do a little pole dance at the base of the tree, but otherwise she prefers to sit back and watch the madness the others create.

And of course let's not forget housemate Toby. You all remember him, right?


Well, this boy finds great joy in chewing holes in the pretty red ribbons of felt that this human loves to put on the tree. That, and he drags off any and all members of the festive teddy bear club that camps out by the tree. Toby takes these poor stuffed bears to the depths of his kitty dungeon (aka, beneath the table), and let's just suffice it to say that nothing good can come of that.

Oh, and for the record, pup Astrid hasn't the foggiest idea why the kitties find that artificial bundle of bristles so entertaining. Surfing on rugs and snoozing on couches are far superior options, if you ask her.

Anyway, that all simply comprises the festivities that occur at my house. Because then there are my parents, who have 7 cats (last time I showed these cuties off here on the blog, there were only 6 of them, which means I have another rescue story to share with you soon!). And what does 7 cats mean? Apparently it means the tree goes horizontal on day one, and thereby awards itself a cozy spot with a seat belt in the corner of the room. Yep, my parents have more than a couple feline tree scalers, and so their Christmas tree is now bungeed in place. It all makes for quite a sight. 

Speaking of which, it was as I sat eating supper at my parents' house the other night, watching their adorable clan of kitties massacre the tree strapped to the wall, that I felt a wave of inspiration wash over me. Perhaps that's why, not long after, this happened:


Honestly, who needs ornaments when you have purrfectly cute cats to hang from the tree? And this here kitty ornamentation is our contribution to Athena's always fun Caturday Art blog hop. Be sure to head right on over there for more art, plenty of which is sure to be fun and festive!


Warm wishes to all!


***
Our Tip of the Day:
Although they certainly are festive, please avoid keeping mistletoe and holly at your house. Both can cause your furbaby gastrointestinal disturbances if ingested, among other and potentially severe consequences. Also avoid lilies, as while some are non-toxic, others are highly dangerous to your furbaby. Be sure to inspect any plants or flower arrangements that guests might bring over for the holidays, and when decorating, consider opting for artificial plants to help your home feeling festive, yet to also keep it safe. And how about a final bonus tip today? Although often considered among the most dangerous, poinsettias are in fact not terribly so. Of course it's not ideal to allow your furbaby to feast on them, as they can cause irritation, poinsettia ingestion is rarely life-threatening, and it's certainly not nearly as dangerous as that of the plants listed above.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I avoid everything that has to do with Christmas, I think that makes me a neat kitty :D Lovely picture, Toby and the drawing is to cute :D Pawkisses for a Happy Caturday with lots of red ribbons :) <3

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Lovely photo as always!

Purrs xx
Athena and Marie

Marg said...

So that is just what our Christmas tree would look like if we had one. We mainly put out our stuffy Rudolphs and I am sure they will get batted around too. That drawing is just purrfect.

Unknown said...

Very cute artwork! I am picturing a Christmas tree held up by a bungee--must be quite a sight!

Peaches and Paprika said...

MOL, how do you THINK of these things? We prefer to sleep till the season is over, ourselves! Purrrs, P & P

pilch92 said...

That is too funny that Toby takes the teddy bears. I love your drawing today, so cute. Your parents sound like amazing people which explains why you are such a wonderful person. I can't wait to hear the story of kitty #7. Excellent tip. I have a fake mistletoe and never bring holly inside.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I resorted to artificial plants long ago because I can never remember which plants are poisonous to cats and which are not ... but, as luck would have it, I have a cat who likes to eat artificial plants ... so yes, it is a rare day that you see any plants in my house real or not. Thanks for the hints and love your purrfectly decorated Christmas tree :)

Andrea @ From The Sol

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, seven cats and a Christmas tree? Talk about a recipe for, um, FUN! :)

We're looking forward to the new rescue story.

Big hugs to you, dear friends. Have a great Saturday!

The Swiss Cats said...

Christmas sounds like a lot of fun at your parents' home ! Purrs

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

My Momma refuses to put up a tree of cat toys! ~Bear Cat
ps - err ... perhaps that comment indicates WHY she refuses to put up a tree.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

I love your tree drawing! Adorable! catchatwithcarenandcody

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That is the cutest drawing. It is exactly what Flynn used to do when he was younger.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

MOL I had to laugh at your descriptions of how your kitties so love the Christmas tree. Luckily mine show little to no interest, although my tree is one of those 3 1/2 footers that sits on a table. Love the drawing!!

The Island Cats said...

Fortunately, our tree has never toppled, but it does have a few broken branches...thanks to Ernie.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

How does your artwork get cuter by the day??? I love the "seat belt" quote. My tree has always been anchored to the baseboard even though it's never gone down. Mudpie is my first "wild child" and last year I was very concerned but she never touched the tree! She's such a purrfect little girl :)

Cathy Keisha said...

Love your cat tree! You draw cats so cute. I've never been one to climb a tree. Neither was Nicky but Autumn, that's another story. While she always ignored the tree during the day, one morning Pop woke up to find the tree on the floor and water all over the place. Trees is just an inconvenience to me cos the room gets turned upside down.

Three Chatty Cats said...

I LOVE your drawing!

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I always wonder what the cat thinks about the big tree that shows up and the boxes that are for sitting on (except for when they aren't) and then all the wrapping gets discarded and the boxes go away and then the tree goes.. such an odd thing