Friday, September 4, 2020

Friendly Fill-Ins

First, I want to send my most heartfelt condolences to my Friendly Fill-Ins co-host, Ellen of 15andmeowing. She recently said goodbye to yet another one of her beloved kitties. Her sweet kitty Polar Bear gained his angel wings.

Run free and fly high, Polar Bear. My thoughts and prayers are with Ellen.


***

Ellen is taking a few days off from blogging, more than understandably, so the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge will be hosted only on my blog this week. In case you missed the fill-in statements yesterday, I'll share them again below. Ellen came up with the first two, and I came up with the second two.


1. To _________ or not to _________? is a question I ask myself.

2. I wish _________ would _________.

3. I'm on the fence about _________.

4. If you don't _________, you won't _________.



My answers are below in bold. I made them all about the furbabies this week.


1. To pet the kitty belly or not to pet the kitty belly? is a question I ask myself.
(Has a kitty ever rolled its adorably fluffy belly up to you and so you pet it, only to painfully realize the belly was a trap? The only kitties in my house who don't regularly do this are Thimble and Tonks. They both truly love belly rubs. On the other side of this coin is Eddy, who is probably the most criminal in her come-pet-my-belly-so-that-I-can-bite-the-hand-that-feeds-me traps. I usually fall for the trap, though, because I've got a thing for fuzzy kitty bellies.)

2. I wish more of my kitties would sit on my lap.
(There are 6 cats living at my house, and only 2 of them regularly humor the idea of sitting on my lap. These would be Eddy and Tonks. The other kitties will sit next to me and will even happily cuddle up to me, but my lap simply isn't their favorite thing. Even when we're in the dead cold of winter, my kitties don't flock to my lap. I find this devastating.)

3. I'm on the fence about replacing my kitties' oldest cat tree.
(The poor thing looks like it's seen a thousand better days. But, the kitties love it so much. They still use it every day. And, though it looks horrendous, it's still somehow pretty darn sturdy. It's torn, it's ripped, its all out of sisal rope, it's stained, and it looks like an absolute mess, but it has never once fallen over or lost any big parts or pieces. I was going to replace it, but since I so often see my kitties still enjoying it, I'm thinking I'll probably end up just adding another cat tree to the mix and only getting rid of the poor ancient and abused one when it truly tells me it has no last legs left to stand on.)

4. If you don't appreciate the unconditional love furry friends have to offer, you won't ever deserve it.
(This might sound harsh, but it's how I feel. People who reject or abuse the unconditional love an animal offers them, those people make me sick. It's as simple as that.)


Now it's your turn!
To add your link to the Friendly Fill-Ins Linky list, just click HERE!
You can also click on the badge below to add your link.


You are also welcome to complete the fill-ins in the comments below,
or in the comments on Ellen's blog, 15andmeowing.



***

Who's ready for their Friday Eddy fix? Today we have a photo that Eddy actually sort of sat still for. She's off-center, but that's because she wanted to show off her beloved hoard of blankets behind her.


Eddy loves blankets. The ones to the right of her in this photo are clean ones haphazardly thrown into a basket, and Eddy loves pulling them out of there, hiding in them, playing in them, and just all around claiming them as hers. Sometimes blankets are a girl's best friend.

Happy Friday, friends!



***

Flashback Doodle of the Day

I love scribbling up autumnal doodles as soon as September hits. That being said, the illustration we shared for our poem yesterday was a bit summery, and the doodle I'll be sharing tomorrow is a summery one (since I only just recently finally got the necessary marker to finish it). That summery doodle I'll be sharing tomorrow will be the last non-autumnal one, I believe. To go alone with these final days of summery doodles, for today I chose a flashback doodle that I created last summer, but it was also inspired by the autumnal holiday of Halloween.




***
Did you know?

Why do some cats roll their bellies up to humans, and then bite the hand that pets it? The answer to this might be quite simple. The stomach is a vulnerable place on a cat's body, on any individual's body. It's where vital organs can be found. In the wild, cats rarely expose their belly, as that would expose a vulnerable and vital part of them to predators or enemies. If a wild cat does roll up their belly and expose it, it will very likely only be when they're somewhere they feel safe, and around other animals or potentially humans with whom they feel safe. The same essentially goes for our house kitties. If your feline friend exposes his or her belly to you, it's a symbol that they feel safe around you. For some kitties, though, this is only a symbol of their love, not an invitation. Some cats simply still have that instinct to attack whatever might be touching their belly, where their vital organs are. There are obviously some cats out there who love belly rubs and won't attack the hand that pets it. For other kitties, though, the wild instinct kicks in, and so a hand touching the belly becomes a target. When it comes to belly rubs, or any type of petting, try to keep an eye on a cat's body language. What's more, for your own good as well as theirs, respect a cat's preferred boundaries and space.

12 comments:

Pam and Teddy said...

Wonderful filling in this week! We share a lot of the same thoughts. So sad to hear about beautiful Polar Bear but what a gorgeous Angel he must be. Forever and ever........

Hugs, Pam

Cathy Kennedy said...

Lorraine,

I stopped by Ellen's a few minutes ago and read about her sweet Polar Bear crossing the rainbow bridge yesterday. My thoughts are with her today. She's lost so many of her furbabies. My heart aches for her. :(

Thanks for sharing the tidbits about why kitty's let ya rub their tummy's. I had no idea they are protective of this part of their bodies because it's sensitive but it makes sense and that if you have the pleasure to scratch their tummies then they trust you. That's sweet.

Your doodle flash is a cute one. I can't believe fall will be here in 17-days and before we know it'll be Halloween.

I enjoyed reading your fill-ins. I can't remember if our kitty liked sitting in my lap. It's been way too long. Pets are a source of happiness for many. I wish we could have indoor pets.

Have a funtastic Friday, my dear!

Eastside Cats said...

We have the sads for Angel Polar Bear too.
I agree with you on the old, beat-up cat climb; buy a new one, and set it up, then slowly allow the new one to take the place of the old one.

messymimi said...

A cat behaviorist once said that when a cat turns over to show its belly, it is saying it trusts you, not necessarily that it wants a belly rub. In fact, maybe it is trusting that you won’t touch its vulnerable underside. When you touch anyway, they retaliate and defend themselves. That’s what the behaviorist said, take it or leave it. We don’t pet cat bellies here, we know better.

Love the contrast of your doodle, bats and dark and watermelon!

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

We are so sad about Polar Bear :(

Agree with #4 and great Eddy pic!

Yvonne said...

It's so sad about Polar Bear. Hugs, purrs and prayers to Ellen.

Great answers as always - especially #4. I so agree. Oddly enough, I couldn't come up with one kitty related answer this week. Maybe next week :)

Have a great weekend!

Cathy Keisha said...

I love Eddy! Faith Eddy Girl used to use the tummy trap. Since her, TW learned never to pet a kitty belly. If you had an Armarkat tree, you could just replace the sisal and other parts. I don't work for them; I just love that they offer replacement parts.

The Island Cats said...

Eddy, the weather is cooling down...purrfect blanket weather!

Marvelous Marv said...

Grreat fill-ins! Especially about the cat trees! Our MAIN cat tree is in the same shape! We have redone the carpeting on the posts twice and the sisal rope! But the kids (er cats) LOVE it so much and after losing their cat beds, I did not want to change out their cat tree too!
Interesting Did you Know?!
Purrs
The Mom!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Mudpie is a blankie queen!!! She loves your stash, Eddy. Our purrs and prayers are with Miss Ellen and her family. She has suffered so much loss lately.

pilch92 said...

Thank you for your kind words about Polar Bear. I miss him. I love your fill-in answers. I fall for the belly rub every time too. My Sammy tends to attack my hand when I do it, but I can't resist. Very cute drawing. And Eddy is adorable. XO

Basil and The B Team ~ BionicBasil ® said...

Fab fill-ins this week and we love your art, ameowzing! Happy Weekend! XOX