Monday, May 8, 2023

Remembering Angel Rosie

It was a hectic weekend, hence our absence. That's something I'm trying to remedy, but I digress.

Yesterday, May 7, marked 8 years since my angel Rosie flew to the Rainbow Bridge. I may not have posted on the day itself, but I still want to share a memorial post for my sweet calico angel.

Every year, I ponder what to post in my dear Rosie's honor. She was my best friend, my pride and joy, as well as the main reason I felt compelled to start this blog of ours. A couple years ago, I finally found some words that more or less explain how I want to remember my Rosie every year on the anniversary of her journey to the Rainbow Bridge. So, I'm now going to re-post what I have said before, because the words still ring true.

Rosie was by my side for 21 years, from the time I was 4 years old until soon after my 26th birthday. She was my companion through nearly every milestone in my life up to that point. This is certainly one major reason why the day I lost her was the worst day of my life thus far.

That all being said, as devastating as it was to lose her, I simply cannot forget the countless beautiful, happy, and funny memories Rosie gifted me. I would never and could never wish those memories away. That's why, when I think of Rosie, I always do all that I can to refrain from feeling sadness. Instead, at the thought of her, I try to go into my reservoir of memories and find ones that bring me joy. And let me tell you, there are many, many, many of those. What's more, I'm certain Rosie would not want the thought of her to bring me sadness.

It's difficult not to feel some semblance of melancholy when thinking of a lost loved one. But, in honor of the companionship, love, and countless memories that she gave me, I always try to remember Rosie with nothing but a smile. After all, for 21 years, she made me smile each and every day. She will always be my ray of sunshine in this world.

I love you, my Rosie, forever and always!

The above image was created a couple years ago by the ever so talented Ann of ZoolatryI don't know if there is an image I cherish more than this one. I have never enjoyed having my photo taken, and the only regret that brings me is that I do not have many photos of myself with my furbabies. However, I am beyond grateful that my mom once snapped a candid shot of me kissing my sweet Rosie on the head. Ann then spruced up that photo to create the beautiful image above. I cannot express how grateful I am to have this image to help me forever remember the bond Rosie and I shared.




***
Tip of the Day

As we mentioned in our last tip, we are doing a bit of a different sort of series of tips, that being one all about wildlife. We're staring today with some tips on feeding none other than geese, ducks, swans, and the like. First, keep in mind that not all areas allow the feeding of these birds, for a variety of reasons. So, first make sure that you're in a location that is safe and appropriate for feeding wild birds such as geese and ducks.

Now, on to feeding these birds of whom we're starting to see more and more in these springtime days. First and foremost, despite popular belief, bread is not an ideal food to feed geese and ducks. Bread does not have much in the way of nutritional value for these wild birds, and often can do more harm than good. So, then, what should you feed animals such as geese? You can offer them some regular birdseed, keeping in mind that sunflower seeds are not one that is ideal for them. You can also give them grapes, kale, and Romain lettuce. That being said, make sure that these foods are bite size, or else there is the risk that the geese or ducks could choke. So, cut grapes in half, and chop up kale or lettuce that you offer. If you offer birdseed or other small foods, mound them up in small piles for ease of eating.

Also ensure that you take safety precautions, both for yourself and the wild birds. For example, it is typically best that you not feed the birds directly out of your hands. In addition, place the food you feed them in a safe area, such as away from roads. In general, you simply have to use common sense, and if you're not sure something is safe, simply don't do it. Interacting with wildlife can be an inspiring and unique experience, but it is always best to keep both their safety and your safety in mind.

6 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

Hugs and purrs on this sad remembrance day.

pilch92 said...

You were truly blessed to have Rosie with you for so long. Sending you hugs on this sad anniversary. XO

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

She was such a beauty!

The Island Cats said...

Purrs to you as you remember and honor your beautiful girl, Rosie. While she had a long wonderful life…it never seems long enough.

messymimi said...

You honor her by your good memories.

Gidget Blue Sky said...

how lovely!!!! purrs