Friday, April 21, 2017

R is for...

We've reached another fun Friday! Where to begin? Let's start off with our R of a doodle for the A to Z Challenge. There were quite a few critters to choose from with this letter. I picked one of my favorites.


A raccoon! Though I rarely see them in real life (I see more foxes in my yard at night than raccoons, and far more possums than either of those, but such is life), I still love these ring-tailed cuties.


Now, on to our next Friday favorite. That is, of course, the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, hosted by 15andmeowing and McGuffy's Reader!


Here are this week's fantastic fill-ins:

1. The most interesting museum I've been to is _________.
2. The most interesting historical place I have been to is _________.
3. _________ is back!
4. I was surprised _________.

And here are my best attempts at answering them:

1. The most interesting museum I've been to is the Super Museum in Metropolis, Illinois.
(I live in Illinois, and while on a statewide road trip a little over a year ago, my family stopped at this Superman-inspired museum. I posted a couple of pictures of it back then, like the one below of Astrid gazing out of the car at the superhero haven. Outside of the museum is a giant statue of Superman, also seen below. I've never been a huge fan of Superman, or any particular superhero franchise for that matter, but this museum was certainly interesting nonetheless.)



2. The most interesting historical place I have been to is Ford's Theater, and Petersen House.
(I visited these back in 8th grade, when my class took a week-long trip to Washington, D.C. On one of the days, we visited Ford's Theater, where Abraham Lincoln was shot. After being wounded, he was taken across the street to Petersen House, and he died in one of the rooms there. We visited that very room as well. Hailing from the state where Lincoln began his political career, I have always been intrigued by him and his story.)

3. Hicks is back!
(For those who don't know or don't remember, there is a feral cat who has lived in my neighborhood for years. He is a handsome, clearly unneutered male, and I call him Hicks. Hicks will not allow me to touch him, but over time he has let me get closer and closer to him. I feed him every day, and I love hanging out in the backyard near him, in hopes that I can gain his trust. Over the winter, though, Hicks disappeared. He has disappeared for spells in the past, but this one lasted months, from January until just about 2 weeks ago. I was ecstatic when I went outside that morning to find him waiting in his usual spot, eager for me to fill the food bowls. Below is a shot of Hicks I've shared before, showing him curled up in the kiddie playhouse I have set up for him.)


4. I was surprised to learn that Eddy likes strawberries.
(My active lady cat Eddy loves her dry food, and that's it. No moist food, no treats, no human food. Except, apparently, strawberries. Housemate Toby has always shown an affinity for strawberries as well, but just recently Eddy suddenly started going crazy for them as well.)

Speaking of Eddy, who's ready for their weekly fix of this little lady?


Look at her! She's sitting still! That's what window whiffies will do to a girl.


*sniff sniff sniff* Window whiffies for the win!

A happy Friday to all!


***
Our Tip of the Day:
Always keep in mind the type of wildlife in your area, and how it might affect your furbabies. While wildlife often has much beauty and many benefits to offer, it can also pose a threat to our furbabies. Some species of wildlife, even those such as rabbits, can pass diseases on to our kitties or pups. What's more, there is also the risk of wildlife physically harming our furbabies if confronted. Do you live in the country, where coyotes often roam and seek prey? Are you located in an area with mountain lions and the like? These such animals can harm or even kill cats or dogs they find outdoors. Even if you live in the city, there is wildlife that could do serious harm to your furbabies. Raccoons, for example, may very well attack if threatened or cornered, and a full-grown raccoon can even potentially kill a small dog or cat. Even large birds of prey can make off with a small pet. It is important to keep these such factors in mind when leaving your furbaby outside, when letting them out to use the restroom, or even when walking with them, especially if in the dark. Always be aware of your area and what it has to offer, therefore, and keep an eye on your furbaby and take all precautions possible.

12 comments:

Marg said...

We don't have many raccoons around here either but they are cute. Great drawing of that raccoon. You all have a great day.

pilch92 said...

That is a cute raccoon. When I was i n high school. I had a friend with a pet raccoon ( not legal), but he was sweet. Thank you for these great answers to the fill-ins. I have always liked Lincoln, that must have been very interesting to see those places. I am not into superheroes either, but that looks fun. Very cute photos of Eddy, she did a great job modeling. And that is a good tip, there are so many dangers outside, much better to keep our furbabies inside. I am so glad Hicks is back, I wonder where he went. You should borrow a trap from your local shelter and get him fixed. Not sure what you have for programs, but if we bring in a feral in a trap they can be fixed for $30 including flea treatment and a rabies shot.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

guyz....we N joyed two dayz hole post.....grate stuff N we iz happee hicks iz bak....we noe de feelin when ya see an outside kitteh whooz gone a mizzin fora bit then TA DA~~~~~~ they iz bak ....hope all iz well with him and ya look gorgeouz two day eddy ~~~~~~ happee fry day ☺☺♥♥

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

I am fascinated by everything surrounding Lincoln ... I've never been to Ford's or Peterson House - though I lived in DC for a year. I just started Fates and Traitors - a novel about John Wilkes Booth ... the book doesn't make him any more likable than he was in real life. I love the close-ups of Eddy - she's beautiful :)

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

YUM...I'm looking forward to strawberry season! You must be so relieved that Hicks is back! And your little raccoon is too cute :) I love them too.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the Super Museum, but never been in it. I am glad that Hicks is safe and sound. Those ferals really have it hard. It is good that strawberries are okay for cats & dogs. It seems that many like them!
I like your little raccoon. We are fans of the Geico Raccoons, "Just try it!" Hugs.

Smudge said...

Dad was up in Minnesota last week and got to see all kinds of wildlife right outside the house. Raccoons, wild turkeys, deer, black squirrels- you name it! Happy Earth Day to all!

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

It is interesting the parallels between Lincoln and Kennedy. I once read an autobiography written by Mary Todd Lincoln's seamstress. It is an eye opener because she had access to the real story and told it well.

Suzanne McClendon said...

That is a great raccoon image. We call the ones around here "Ricky". We have lots of possums visit in the cooler weather, then they go off somewhere and the raccoons start visiting. There is a family of them that visits in our carport at night. They sure raise a ruckus, too, and do a fine job of rearranging the stuff out there.

There are coyotes in our area, but by far, the biggest threat is snakes. Our neighbors killed two yesterday, one a chicken snake (harmless as far as poison goes) and one that was potentially a coral snake. He couldn't remember the color pattern, so we don't know if it was a king snake or a coral snake. I have seen coral snakes in our yard before as well as copperheads and chicken snakes and broadband water snakes. I haven't seen a rattlesnake, yet. They are around here, though.

I am glad that Hicks is back and is okay. That is great! I love the pics of Eddy and especially her teeth peeking out. :)

Have a blessed weekend!

Annie Bear said...

Your raccoon is so cute. That's great that Hicks is back! I wonder if it would be possible to trap him to get him neutered. I'm sure that's much easier said than done.

I remember your post about Superman! There really does seem to be a museum for everything.

How funny that Eddy likes strawberries! Toby too! She looks darling in her sunny close-ups.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Love the raccoon drawing, it's so adorable! As is Eddy - love those window whiff shots of her! ;)

And how cool that Hicks is back! I bet you're relieved - I know I would be. :) Great fill-ins as usual! Have a great weekend!

Friendly Fill-Ins with Historical Places, Museums, & more while we Celebrate the Small Things for Friday Fun!

Home Winemaking – ‘R’ for Racking, and Riddle me this…I mean Riddling! #AtoZChallenge

Cathy Keisha said...

That’s the cutest raccoon ever. Was Lincoln’s ghost in the room where he died?