Friday, August 11, 2017

Fill-Ins and Fear of the V-E-T

Happy Friday to one and all! It's time for the always fun Friendly Fill-Ins challenge, hosted by our friends over at 15andmeowing and McGuffy's Reader.


As always, here are the clever fill-ins from the minds of our hosts:

1. Blind dates _________.
2. _________ years ago, I _________.
3. I admire _________ because _________.
4. _________ makes me think _________.

And, here are my best attempts at filling them in:

1. Blind dates are something I myself would probably never try.
(Blind dates can very well lead some people to find love. I've heard of such stories myself. But, I don't think they're for me. Besides, I'll admit that I'm happily single and honestly plan to stay that way.)

2. Twenty years ago, I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grew up.
(As a kid, I always wanted to be a veterinarian. By the time I hit senior year of high school, though, I had changed my mind. By that point, I had worked with a variety of animals in a variety of settings, and I think it was heavily the thought of having to euthanize animals that really made me think twice. I certainly do appreciate veterinarians, though, and all that they do for our furbabies.)

3. I admire animal rescuers, because they are true heroes.
(There are many kinds of heroes out there, but those who work day in and day out to rescue the most innocent of victims will always have a great deal of admiration from me.)

4. The scent of mint makes me think of my angel pup Shellie.
(I just bought some Andes mints the other day, and it really brought back some memories. After all, my childhood pup Shellie once stole and ate an entire bag of Andes mints right after we came home from the store with it. Luckily, she was a big girl and was scarcely affected by this indulgence. And, her breath smelled great.)

***

Now, it's Eddy's turn to share her weekly happenings. And what a week she had. As a prologue, I will explain that two of Eddy's biggest fears in life are 1) that nasty PTU and 2) strangers. Guess what? Going to the V-E-T requires both. That's probably why she was so very, very unhappy with me on Monday, when she went in for her annual exam. I'll let her give you the details now.


Hi, furiends! Can you tell that I've had a rough week? Because I have. On Monday, I had to live out my worst nightmare. After all, my mom shoved me into that torture chamber and carted me off to be poked and prodded by strangers.

It all started a couple of weeks ago, really. You see, that PTU of ours, it sits out in our house all the time. Seriously, every day it just sits there and mocks me. Who wants to look at the source of their torture 24/7? I sure don't. But, my mom doesn't seem to care.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, my started giving that torture chamber extra attention. She started throwing my treats (aka, the frog's food, because that's my kind of treat) in that nightmarish box. She even started attempting to invite it to play games with us, throwing my toys in there and all that silly jazz. But you know what? I'm a smart girl. I knew my mom was up to something. And so was that PTU.

Fast forward to Monday, and I wouldn't go near that nasty torture chamber. Mom was over there throwing treats and toys at it like a buffoon, so I just walked away. A bit later, my mom picked me up and started cuddling me, so I figured I'd won, that she'd given up trying to trick me. But, then it got weird. My mom picked up a blanket and wrapped me in it. Am I a burrito? I think not! So, I started to squirm, because when the mom's acting fishy and trying to turn you into a food wrap, you squirm for all your worth.

Then, that's when it turned into a real nightmare. My mom tried to shove my burritoed body into that torture box. Can you believe that?!? Don't worry, though. I put up a fight. I put up a really good fight. Mom even bled for that one. Don't worry, though. It was only a scratch. I'm no biter, and I was only trying to hug her until she stopped being such a terrible person. Besides, it didn't work. Bloody or not, my mom got me back in that box of horrors and locked me up.

I screamed. I screamed big time. I cried and wailed and demanded to be released. "Please, Mommy, let me out! PLEEEEAAASE!!!" But, no, she didn't let me out. Instead, she took me outside. Outside. At our house, we kitties don't go outside. We're indoor kitties 100%. Yet, there I was outside, and then in this wheeled thing that started moving. And then we were at this place that smelled like other cats and dogs and some weird chemicals.

And you know what? After that battle royale to shove me into the torture chamber, Mom yanked me right back out at this strange place. I did the only reasonable thing. I froze. I was petrified. Like, I now know what it feels like to be a statue. While I remained a statue, people came in, put some weird thing on my chest and said my heart was racing (no kidding, Sherlock), and then stabbed me in the leg. What is wrong with people?!?

(Flashback to baby Eddy's first vet visit! Isn't she adorable?!?)

I wasn't all smiles this time around. At least the torture wasn't too prolonged. Before long, it was back in the torture chamber, back in that wheeled thing that moves, and then back home, where I hid under my mom's bed for a couple of hours. We made up later, of course. I cuddled her and purred and begged her to never do that to me again (or else, Mom, or else).

Well, I hope everybuddy else had a better week than me!

Purrs,
Eddy


So, there you have it, from the victim herself. In truth, I keep at least one carrier out and about in the house all the time. All of the other cats in the house will use it for fun, eat treats out of it, play with toys in it, and all that good stuff. But, not Eddy.

To be honest, I feel like Eddy's fear of carriers and overall being confined might go back to when she was trapped by the rescue group from which I adopted her. Her first day with them, she was "normal". By the next day, though, she had a head tilt and was spinning in circles. They could never pinpoint an exact cause for this, but I have always wondered if she was hit or in some other way affected by the trap. She even has a scar on her right ear, the same side as her permanent head tilt and facial nerve paralysis. Regardless, I love my special girl and will simply do what it takes (even if that means turning the feisty girl into a kitty burrito) to get her cared for as needed.

One of the morals of this story is, though it might not always work, as Eddy proves, to try to keep a carrier out all year round. This way, it won't be an enemy the second it shows up for V-E-T time. You can also put favorite blankets, toys, food, treats, and catnip in the carrier to make it enticing. Feliway is another option. For those still having none of it, you can try the blanket burrito method for safe handling. If need be, you can also discuss with the veterinarian options such as sedating medications, at-home visits, and any other potential options. So, to those with upcoming V-E-T visits, good luck!

Happy Friday from all of us to all of you!

***
Our Doodle of the Day:

19 comments:

Marg said...

Oh Eddy, we feel your pain. Some of us hate that darn carrier. And going to the vet is the worst. Glad you made it home all in one piece. We love the drawing and the saying. It is so true. You all have great day.

Three Chatty Cats said...

Poor Eddy, my cats hate the PTU as well. And there is definitely blood shed when we have to get our tortie Olive in one! I'm glad you're doing well, though. Happy Friday!

pilch92 said...

Thank you for participating in the fill-ins, great answers, as always. I like your first answer and I am glad that you know yourself well enough already ( you are so young), and are not trying to be like everyone else getting married, etc. I can understand not wanting to be a vet because of the euthanasia part. I admire animal rescuers too. And that was a cute story about your dog, glad he was OK.
Poor Eddy, that was quite an ordeal. I am glad you are healthy and won't have to go to the vet again for hopefully another year. Good idea to keep a PTU out year round. I love the drawing and the quote, that is so true. Have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your answers are thoughtful and genuine. I appreciate you being a part of the fill-ins. Yea for Eddy being healthy! I wanted to be a vet, too. The euthanasia issue was too sad. But, after I became a vet tech, I understood the importance of it. I always focused on comforting the family as they comforted their pet. Have a good week. Hugs!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

eddy....look at yur doodle......itz AWESUM !!!!!!!!! N we R veree sorree ya had to go two de place oh eeeeeeeevil...we due knot like it either; none oh uz....we bee come az feerce { in R mindz eye } az R big cat cuzinz...we willna go inta de carrier either... it could be out 25/8 and haz fresh lee seered trout inn side......faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....for get it ~~~~~~~ ☺☺♥♥

Eastside Cats said...

Eddy, what an adventure! Chuck and Angel both sing the song of their people...LOUDLY...whenever they are in the PTU. The Hubby has gotten to Expert Level on nabbing them when they are napping, then stuffing them in! We keep both PTU's open and available always, and a couple of times Chuck has pointed at them which we read as indications that he wasn't feeling well!

Colehaus Cats said...

Great fill-ins. We loved every one of them.

We're sorry you had to be put through all that, sweet Eddy. No amount of saying "it's for your own good" flies with us, either. And we agree completely - keeping the dreaded PTU out all the time, makes us hate that thing more than ever.

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

The Eddy kitten picture MADE MY DAY! What a beautiful girl (just like now of course). I don't think Bear ever had a bad experience in a carrier ... but he's the same way. I can't burrito him no matter how hard I try - so getting into the carrier is ... umm ... INTERESTING. He was homeless when I met him and there were other feral cats - so I'm guessing his first time in a carrier was when I caught him to get him checked out before I brought him inside. He HOWLS. I mean HOWLS. If he gets into either of the bedrooms, I might as well give up because he's got a couple spots I can't reach. After I finally get him in, all I want is a nap!

Lone Star Cats said...

Glad ya survived it Eddy. I don't mind da vet, but me and Crockett are both pretty outgoing. Angelique hates it though.

The Daily Pip said...

My cat Otis (passed in 2012) was like that with carriers - only he didn't calm down and act like a statue at the vet. He was a terror in the carrier and at the vet. We tried leaving it out, but it sadly didn't seem to help much.

Glad you are safe and sound, Eddy. Sounds like a stressful week.

The Swiss Cats said...

Poor Eddy, Zorro feels just like you ! I do my best to help him keeping calm from my PTU when we have to go to the vet. Purrs, Pixie

Annie Bear said...

I always enjoy reading your fill-in answers. I agree with #3 and #1 gives me shudders (even though I've been married 30 years).

Oh, Eddy. I could cry thinking of you being so scared.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

"Trying to turn you into a food wrap" MOL I'm so sorry you had to go through such torture but at least it's over for the year!

I wanted to be a vet growing up too until I lost my childhood cat to a brain tumor. Seeing how I suffered told me I could never see that every day. I'm stronger now though and really wish I had followed my heart instead of my head.

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

Eddy, you are a smart cat. Xerxes always knew something was up whenever he saw "THE BOX". He never did like it. Have a great week.

The Island Cats said...

Oh Eddy! We're sorry you had to go through all of that. Our PTU sits out all the time too but we usually stay clear of it.

Cathy Keisha said...

Is this the first time you've been since you were a baby? I'm axing cos you should know the drill. I hope you weren't as traumatized as I get at the stabby place. Dontcha hate it when the peeps take pics at the vet when you're the most vulnerable?

Suzanne McClendon said...

Awww, Eddy, I'm so sorry that you had to go into the torture box and then to the kitty-poking place. Sometimes we have to endure very upsetting things to be the best, the healthiest, that we can be. Your mommy does this because she loves you even more than the blood you released from her. :)

Our oldest daughter wanted to be a veterinarian from the time she was about 4 years old (she's 26 now). She started out with vet-prep in college, but along the way, decided the math was too much for her and she didn't want to cause harm to an animal because of her math skills. She just couldn't bear the thought of it and changed majors.

I'm glad the Andes mints didn't hurt Shellie.

Have a blessed weekend. :)

catladymac said...

To The Mom - you might want to invest in a 2 way carrier - the regular front door but with an additional (and larger) hatch on top. Way easier to get the kitty in and they seem less reluctant (I think they can see more of where they are headed) It might make it easier on Evan too, even if he isn't hard to get in.
Glad Eddy got a clean bill of health and you are both through the ordeal for another year !

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I'm so sorry Eddy. that is rough but so important. Glad your mom made you go through it.