Tuesday, September 1, 2026

A Rainbow Bridge Birthday Bash

Today is a special day. It's the birthday of my kitty angels Rosie and Sammy. My parents adopted these two blessings when I was just 4 years old.

My sweet Rosie lived to the age of 21, and she was with me from the time I was 4 until I had just turned 26. She passed in 2015. Anyone who visited our blog in its very early days would have gotten to know Rosie, as she was the star of the show back then.


Sammy, sadly, only lived to the age of 5. He passed in 1999 from an undetected heart condition. Those 5 years were filled with so much fun and joy, though.


Happy Birthday, Rosie and Sammy! I love you always and forever!

I unfortunately didn't get a new birthday doodle scribbled up for my Rosie and Sammy this year, but I really liked the one I created for them a couple years ago, so I'll share it again for their birthday today. 


As a bit of an explanation for that drawing, I've gotten into the habit of making Rosie and Sammy's birthday doodles Harry Potter-esque, which explains the general content and color choices in that there doodle. After all, Rosie and Sammy were my reading buddies. Since my sweet Sammy passed when he was only 5 and I was only 10, I never got to read Harry Potter with him. I did start reading it soon after his passing, though, which helped me during my grieving process. My Rosie, though, lived to the blessed age of 21, and so she was often by my side as I read every single Harry Potter book from the time I was 10 until I was 18. What's more, in the Harry Potter series, the magical school known as Hogwarts always starts on September 1st. As a kid, it excited me so much that this date was shared with my Rosie and Sammy's birthday. I don't know if any of that made sense, but it's why I often incorporate magical whatnot into my sweet angels' birthday doodles.


HAPPY HEAVENLY BIRTHDAY,
ROSIE AND SAMMY!



***
Tip of the Day

I apologize to anyone who does not yet wish to unofficially begin autumn. For me, though, September 1st marks the day when I can really start celebrating my favorite season of the year. (Let's just pretend it's not 95°F today, okay?) That's why, starting today, we'll be doing a series of tips on pet safety during the season of autumn.

Since the fall semester of school is starting up for students, that's what our autumnal tip for today relates to. If any students live in your home with your furbabies, be sure that care is taken to keep your kitties or pups safe from any rampant school supplies. Pens, pencils, erasers, glue sticks, tape, scissors, and any and all sorts of school supplies could potentially pose a risk if left where a furbaby can turn them into a toy or snack. Ingested erasers or other supplies, for example, can result in gastrointestinal upset or even perforated or obstructed bowels. Obviously, this is not ideal, and so school supplies should be tucked safely away, out of reach of cats and dogs. Keep this in mind throughout the school year as well. Backpacks, for example, might contain some of the aforementioned potentially dangerous school supplies, or even lunches or snacks that contain hazardous ingredients. Therefore, again, be sure to keep all such school items well out of reach of your furbaby. As we always say, i's better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: