Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Wordless Wednesday: It's right behind me, isn't it?





***
Our Tip of the Day:
Although cats and dogs have learned to live with and tolerate us humans, it is still important that we always remember and take into consideration the fact that they are different than us. One major way in which our furbabies differ from us are their heightened senses. Studies have found that cats' sense of hearing is far beyond that of either dogs or humans. Cats can hear the mere squeak of a kitten or rodent from a great distance, and even through barriers. Dogs have a sense of smell far beyond that of most other species. One of my college professors once explained that when we humans smell pizza, we smell pizza, but when a dog smells pizza, it smells the breading, the tomato sauce, the Italian seasoning, the cheese, the pepperoni, the sausage, and all the bits and pieces that make up the pizza. All in all, though, when compared to humans, both cats and dogs have superior senses of smell and hearing. That being said, always be considerate of this when sharing a home with your furbabies. Smells that we perhaps can't notice, such as a dirty litter box or even an overabundance of fragrance, could seem like an assault to a cat or dog. Similarly, although they can't or won't tell us, a loud TV or pounding music could perhaps become irritating to a cat or dog. Always remember to be considerate of your furbabies' senses!

15 comments:

The Island Cats said...

Thimble, yes...yes it is. But we think you knew that, right? Looks like you're gonna have to share your window.

Marg said...

Hi there Thimble, you and Astrid are looking good this morning. It is so great when a dog and the cats get along. You all have a great day.

Hannah and Lucy said...

Oops Thimble we suggest you move over and leave room for the dog at the window too.

pilch92 said...

Cute photobomb. Great tip! I try not to have music or the tv too loud. When we had a dog ( Katie, she went to The Bridge in 2011), she always drooled when we had pizza- that explains it.

Cat Lovers said...

Great Tip, Great information. Thank you for sharing with us.
Check Out My Online Store for Cat Lovers

Snowbrush said...

I know that my two cats can't see nearly as well as I--except in the dark--and my understanding is that both cats and dogs see limited color. Where our primary interface with the world is vision, theirs is hearing and smelling. They also just spatial orientation differently, and I’m not sure but what they judge size differently. One night my heeler, Bonnie, and I were in the car waiting for my wife to get off work. When I saw her coming, I said to the dog, “Where’s Peggy?” and Bonnie jumped down and looked under the seat. Was she being really dumb, or did she simply view the world differently because of sensory differences? In any event, such experiences are a happy reminder that our species are a lot more different than I usually imagine.

Cathy Keisha said...

Yep. TW doesn't use air fresheners or smelly cleaners cos she knows they'll bother me. Likewise, she wishes she could turn the pneumatic drills and jackhammers outside off cos if they're bothering her, I'm hearing them twice as loud.

meowmeowmans said...

Yes, indeed, Thimble. There's a really, really nice and cute Astrid right behind you! :)

Katie and The Katz said...

yep dats dog am right behinds you again... how cans you gets your beauty naps in da sunnyshine now, unless him shares the window... <3 -Katie Kitty Too

The Swiss Cats said...

The short answer is : yes. Purrs

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

That's a great tip! I've always considered loud noises and how they bother cats but I haven't thought so much about smell.

Three Chatty Cats said...

Yes, hold very, very still and perhaps he won't see you.

Kitties Blue said...

Really, Thimble? We can't believe you call your sister, "it." You do look a bit nervous. Are you afraid Astrid might step or sit on you? XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

You know she's behind you, don't you, Thimble?

When I'm looking out of the window with my kitties, sometimes they will become very alert and stare out. I don't see anything. But I know they see better than me.

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

BWWWWAH!!! That's like our house!! Your expression is PRICELESS!!! xoxo catchatwithcarenandcody