Thursday, March 24, 2022

Thoroughly Poetic Thankful Thimble Thursday

Happy Thursday! We're going to get right to Angel Sammy's Thoroughly Poetic Thursday challenge.

As always, our poetic host shared a photo prompt to help guide us. This week's prompt is this cute image here:

That there photo brought one particular idea to my mind, and I couldn't stop thinking about. That idea will probably seem way off base from the photo, but I went with it anyway. Basically, my poem was mainly sparked by the scooter in that there image. There isn't even a little girl in my poem.. What's more, my orange boy Evan is actually the one who wrote my poem. I'm sure none of this makes sense, but if you read the poem, you'll eventually see how it tangentially relates to the photo prompt above. Well, you'll at least see how it relates to the word scooter.


My Name Is Evan

My name is Evan.
I am two years older than seven.
I am furry and orange and have whiskers,
And I also have malfunctioning back kickers.

I'm something you might call partially paralyzed,
But my front legs work, as do my ears and eyes.
I've been the way that I am since I was a kitten,
And since she met tiny me, my humanoid mom has been quite smitten.

I may need a stool or a lift to get on the furniture,
But you better believe I get up there and bestow it with my fur.
And you also better believe I can run faster than fast,
Especially when my mom wants to trim my nails and so I zoom and dash.

I may do things a little bit differently,
But I also do them in a manner quite brilliantly.
I've learned to make do with what I have,
And my mom says that makes me one cool cat.

But can you guess some of the crazy things we've been told?
Like when a co-worker once told my mom that surely I have no quality of life, no?
Don't worry, because my mom told this fellow that he was perfectly wrong,
And he now knows that unlike many humans, I'm the perfect mixture of sweet and strong.

But can you guess the most common thing people say about me?
They usually say it when they watch me and can't believe what they see.
They'll gawk as I pull my little back legs behind me in the way that I do,
And they'll ask my mom, "Did you consider naming him Scooter? Huh? Did you?"

Indeed, countless acquaintances and strangers have put in their vote.
Scooter should have been my name, that's what they always note.
Can you imagine me being named something like Scooter?
In truth, I'd rather be named Tooter.

My name is Evan.
Now, let me give you a lesson.
At its roots, Evan means young warrior,
Something which my mom says I am for sure.

I may not look or move as you would expect,
But you better believe I'm still perfect.
I'm a momma's boy with a huge appetite and a roar that deafens,
And you better believe that my name is Evan.




***

Now, we're of course ready for Brian's Thankful Thursday Blog Hop.


As always, Thimble is here to share some gratitude.


Thimble is grateful that she was able to steal Evan's favorite Barney the Dinosaur blanket from him. She's also thankful that she yet again blocked her mom's attempts at properly making the bed. And Thimble did all that while looking this adorable.



***

Before we share the fill-in statements for tomorrow's Friendly Fill-Ins, I first wanted to again say that we're sending purrs, woofs, thoughts, and prayers to my Fill-Ins co-host Ellen and her sweet kitty Sammy, who is battling health issues.



Everyone is more than welcome to join in tomorrow for the Friendly Fill-Ins challenge. Ellen of 15andmeowing came up with the first two fill-in statements, and I came up with the second two.


1. I have never been able to _________.

2. I _________ competition.

3. I _________ when spring has sprung.

4. I would like everyone to know _________.



We'll see you tomorrow, friends!


***
Tip of the Day

Today's National Pet Poison Awareness Month tip is about the toxic gas known as carbon monoxide (CO). CO is not only dangerous to us humans, but also incredibly dangerous to our kitties, pups, and other animals. CO most often results from car exhaust, fire/smoke, and when generator systems fail. When a large amount of CO is inhaled, this can lead to cells in the body becoming deprived of oxygen. CO poisoning can thereby result in life-threatening effects on the cardiovascular system, neurological system, and other important systems of the body.

Needless to say, do all that you can to prevent both your furbaby's and your own exposure to CO. Set up CO monitors in your home, and ensure that they are always properly functioning. Of course also ensure that you have functioning fire and smoke alarms. There are all-in-one alarms on the market that detect fire, smoke, and CO. In addition to this, properly maintain any generators that you have, and do not use them if they are in any way malfunctioning. Also, of course, do not let your kitty or pup into a closed, unventilated garage where a car or other motor vehicle is running. CO can be a silent killer, so do all that you can to protect your furbaby, as well as yourself, from it and its deadly effects.

6 comments:

The Florida Furkids said...

Evan did a great job with that poem. We're purring loud and hard for Sammy.

Eastside Cats said...

Evan is a handsome, wonderful kitty, and we are glad to know him!

pilch92 said...

I love the poem about Evan. That would make a great children's book. And Thimble is adorable. Nice drawing and great tips too. And thank you for the purrs and prayers for my boy. XO

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

You're a very talented girl, Thimble! And the poem is purrfect, just like you, Evan!

messymimi said...

Your Evan poem is the best! Thimble, you are just like a cat should be, a housework preventer. That's what mine do, anyway.

Pam and Teddy said...

Thanks for playing along with our Poetry day.....poems are fun to write when they're inspired by something we see. You always do such a good job of taking the photo and going in a FUN direction!

Hugs, Pam