Saturday, July 23, 2016

Caturday Art: Cat With a Little Side of Dragon

For today's Caturday Art blog hop, hosted by Athena, I did something a bit different than usual. These days, as you've probably noticed, I tend to stick to pen drawings, with lots of color and often with a little of side of crazy and chaos. That wasn't always my go-to technique, though. Back in my middle grade and high school days, I started out with pencil drawings, and I stuck with pencil (and pencil only) for years. Then one day I started experimenting with the fun that is pen drawing, though, and I never looked back.

Well, that's not entirely true. Once a year, the county fair comes to town, art show and all. Back when I was a kid, each year I would enter pencil drawings to the fair's art show. To stick to that tradition, I still make sure to complete at least one pencil drawing each year for the fair. Well, the fair starts today, which means a pencil drawing was in store.

It had been a while since I'd drawn a picture starring our housemate Toby, my sister's cat (and one of Thimble's biological brothers). So, this fuzzy black little dude was selected as my subject for my pencil drawing. As for the rest of the inspiration? Well, let's just suffice it to say that my sister and I often joke that Toby sometimes reminds us of a dragon (especially Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon, to be exact). Well, mix that with the fact that Toby has a habit of loitering outside of any and all doors and entryways, and this admittedly random and perhaps weird drawing happened:


I don't know what goes on in my head sometimes. Lately, though, it's apparently involved cat-dragons and castles. Weird, huh?

Happy Caturday, everybuddy!


***
Our Tip of the Day:
Today's tip is a quick and simple one, and it's to consider adopting a black cat, or sponsoring one, or spreading the news about how wonderful they are. As many of you know, black cats are often considered taboo or bad luck, and so their adoption stats are often rarely as promising as those of other cats. So, please don't let black cat rumors fool you. Black cats are great, and more than perfect and adoptable. Please help break the mold and consider adopting a black cat, fostering one, sponsoring one, spreading the news about an adoptable one in your area, or even going to volunteer at a shelter and spending time with one to give it a little extra love. Black cats are purrfect, too!

16 comments:

Marg said...

That is such a good drawing. It made me smile big time.Toby looks good as a dragon. And we thank you for putting the good word out for black cats. There are three here and they are all just great cats. I just love your art work.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are clever and I think Toby makes a wonderful Dragon ... I wonder if he opens his mouth if he will spew flames :) I agree with your black cat Tip. They are all wonderful. It is like the human race, color does not the human make. We should all close our eyes to the prejudices with people as well as cats and love and help them all.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Mickey's Musings said...

Pawsome drawing!
Toby makes a cool cat dragon.
Not at all scary :)
Purrs Georgia and Julie,
Treasure and JJ

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

That's a fabulous drawing! We love the dragon-cat, especially Dragonheart!

lorraines resources and rewards said...

great drawing very cool have a great weekend

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

What a grat drawing!

Purrs x
Athena and Marie

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

What a grat drawing!

Purrs x
Athena and Marie

Anonymous said...

Not weird at all..they all fit purrfectly together :D Great Art :) Pawkisses for a Happy Caturday :) <3

Cathy Keisha said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I think it's amazing. Your talent for artwork is incredibly special, I hope you realize that!

Annie Bear said...

I completely agree with Melissa!

I love this idea of Toby being a cat-dragon! The expression on his face is so cute.

pilch92 said...

That is so cool that you enter a drawing in the fair every year. This one is definitely a winner. And I agree with your tip- black cats are wonderful, but of course, I think all cats are. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

The Island Cats said...

We love this drawing!! You are seriously talented.

meowmeowmans said...

That's not weird at all! But your drawing of handsome Toby IS definitely fun and awesome! You are really talented, Lorianne. :)

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Just gorgeous! You are soooooooooooo incredibly talented! Do you know that my favorite mediums to work in are graphite or pen and ink? I HATE working in color! xoxo catchatwithcarenandcody

sprinkles said...

I don't think I realized you're such a talented artist!