Friday, June 15, 2018

Friendly Fill-Ins

It's time to fill in some fill-ins! In case you missed the Friendly Fill-Ins statements yesterday, here they are. Ellen of 15andmeowing crafted up the first two, and I came up with the second two.


1. My favorite Disney character is _________.

2. If I could stay any age for life, I would choose to be age _________.

3. _________ is my secret talent.

4. Life is like a _________.


I of course took a turn to fill these in. Here are mine!

1. My favorite Disney character is Gus Gus.
(I've always thought this cute and innocent little mouse from Cinderella was pretty darn cute. What's more, and what really helped solidify this answer of mine, was that at my grade school, there was a Gus Gus doll that would take a turn going home with each kindergartener for a week. My sister was in kindergarten just one year before me, and her turn with Gus Gus fell on the week when we were moving to a new house. I remember helping her keep track of Gus Gus, and nearly losing him a couple of times. In case you were wondering, some of my runners-up to this fill-in were Belle from Beauty and the Beast, Ariel as well as Flounder from The Little Mermaid, Merida from Brave, and something like 101 Dalmatians, just to name a few.)

2. If I could stay any age for life, I would choose to be age 29.
(I'm currently 29, and I kind of like this age. I finally feel old enough to have a tad bit of life experience and knowledge. But, hey, maybe I'll like being 30 or 40 or 50 even better.)

3. Attracting mosquitoes is my secret talent.
(I couldn't figure out what to put for my own fill-in, and when I asked my sister to help me out, she offered this. My scent, or perhaps my flavor, seems to attract mosquitoes without fail. This has been the case since I was a small child. My dad always tells me that if he brings me along to a summer outing, he doesn't have to worry about mosquitoes, because they'll all just swarm to me. Thanks, Dad.)

4. Life is like a camera.
(Have you ever heard this one? I don't remember where I first stumbled upon it and I can't find a source, but it goes like this: Life is a like a camera. Focus on what's important. Capture the good times. Develop from the negatives. If things don't work out, take another shot.)


Now it's your turn!
To add your link to the Friendly Fill-Ins Linky list, just click HERE!
You can also click on the badge below to add your link.


You are also welcome to complete the fill-ins in the comments below,
or in the comments on Ellen's blog, 15andmeowing.



***

We didn't forget to give you your Friday Eddy fix!


Eddy is turning into Astrid with her window watching déjà vu shots. This is indeed a new shot of Eddy, but in the exact same window and in the exact same pose as her other recent shots. I'll try to coax Eddy into snapping some new shots. That is, if she will even agree to sit still in the first place.

Happy Friday, friends!



***
Our Doodle of the Day:

We're doing things a tad bit backwards. Today's doodle is Thimble's take on the new kittens in the family. Tomorrow you'll see Eddy's doodled up opinion of the kittens.




***
Our Tip of the Day:

Yesterday we gave some tips on how to introduce a new cat to a resident cat. Today, we'll give a bit of an idea on what you can do to get a new cat used to a resident dog, or vice versa. Getting a cat and a dog acquainted with each other can, in some ways, mimic the methods used to introduce two cats to each other. For example, just as with two cats, you can start introducing a cat and dog to each other by getting them used to each other's scent. This can include blocking their view of and access to each other, while allowing them to smell each other through a door. You can also swap pieces of their bedding, so that they become used to each other's scent this way.

Once the new cat is used to their surroundings and to the scent of the resident dog, or vice versa, you can begin introducing the cat and dog to the sight of each other. This can be done through a baby gate, through a screen, or safely from across the room. As needed, you can keep the dog on a leash to ensure a safe introduction. Also try to ensure that the cat is able to be safely restrained, should signs of aggression arise. These first meet-and-greets are likely best done from a distance, with each furbaby being distracted and rewarded for good behavior with treats or toys. This exercise can be repeated for however many days it takes for the cat and dog to act non-aggressive or calm in each other's presence. As progress is made, you can slowly start to decrease the distance between the cat and dog.

Over time, a cat and dog can learn to become friends, to tolerate each other, or simply to ignore each other. Allow for the proper patience and time to get the furbabies safely acquainted. Until they are used to and safe around each other, ensure that their time together is supervised. Even if the cat and dog grow well acquainted and tolerant of each, though, still ensure that each furbaby has their own space to be alone as needed. For example, have cat trees or other similar areas to which the cat can retreat, and a bed or crate for the dog to go should they wish.

21 comments:

Lone Star Cats said...

Angelique's momma attracts mosquitos too - some people have a chemical in their blood that really attracts mosquitos - she's one of them. Also if you tend to run warm (your normal temp is slightly higher than 98.6) mosquitos will be attracted to you.

Pam and Teddy said...

I love all of your fill-ins today but especially #4. Life really is like a camera - I often think of my EYES are cameras and I'm recording memories all day every day. Twenty-nine is a great age and I remember being quite happy when I was 29. It was a VERY long time ago though!

Hugs, Pam

messymimi said...

Gus-Gus is also dear to my heart, i picked Jacques as my favorite. They were quite a pair.

"Life is like a camera" -- that's a new one to me, i like it very much.

Our Little Girl attracts mosquitoes, too. When she was very young, she was playing outside and none of the other kids got bitten, she came in with over 50 bites! She then scratched herself into impetigo, and then had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and had hives on top of the mosquito bites and impetigo. Poor baby sat in a corner and whimpered she was so miserable.

Eddy and Astrid do seem to like the same pose each time, reminds me of my saying that once is a habit for pets and brothers-in-law.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Gus from "Cinderella" is adorable. I forgot about that little guy. :) You're the same age as DD#1. Her bday is at the end of the month, so she'll soon be out of her 20s. I hate mosquitoes! They attack me frequently when outdoors and when I was a kid my legs looked like I had the measles all the time with a zillion bite marks. DH helps to pull them away from me a bit as they seem to be more attracted to him. I like your quote about life. I'm not sure if I've heard it before but it's great! Thanks for hosting the Friday fun. Have a good weekend!

Curious as a Cathy

Unknown said...

That is quite a secret talent to have. And I love your quote about life being like a camera! I haven't heard that one before, but it is great :)

Marg said...

Your fill-in answers are terrific. We like that quote too about Life is like a camera. Can't wait to see pictures of the new kittens. Have a great day.

Yvonne said...

Great answers! Mmmm...mosquitoes? Yikes! Hope you have a great weekend and are mosquito free :)

pilch92 said...

Great answers, I have seen Cinderella, but I don't remember Gus Gus. It sounds like fun getting to take him home for a week. I like life is like a camera, I had not heard that one. And you are someone I would want to be near outside too. I always get mosquito bites and I can't stand the smells of any sprays so I try to avoid outside.
Very cute drawing, Thimble needs some personal space :) And great shot of Eddy.
More excellent tips too. Have a nice weekend! XO

Cathy Keisha said...

Hi Eddy! TW says I now squint when I look out the window cos the sun is so bright. Does your mom eat bananas cos mosquitoes love to feast upon people who eat them. Pop always attracts them too. Never heard that camera quip.

The Menagerie Mom said...

Hi, CK! I think you're on to something. My mom eats something like 4 bananas a day. She says she can't imagine giving up her favorite fruit, though, so I guess she'll just have to accept her fate of getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. Purrs, Eddy

Eastside Cats said...

Thimble's doodle makes me think of the Supremes: "Stop! In the name of love!" Here's hoping Thimble begins to enjoy the wee ones soon.

Sandee said...

Being 29 is a good thing too. It's a long time ago for me.

I can attract mosquitoes too. I never thought of that answer.

Love the camera analogy. I like that a lot.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. Scritches to the kitties. ♥

Lola The Rescued Cat said...

Our mom wishes she was 29 again. But that was a LONG time ago!

violaetcetera said...

Absolutely agree that being 29 is a good age, even though it has been a few years for me.
This is very good advice how to get a cat and a dog used to each other. We managed to get this done a few times, and I think it is often possible.

The Island Cats said...

What fun fill in answers. The mom wishes she was 29 again. It's been a long time since she's seen that age. ;) The response to #4 is fabulous...never heard that before...but it is purrfect (and would make a great Spark, too.)

Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat said...

I don't know that I can pick just one favorite Disney character - but the Siamese Cats and Thumper are at the top of the list! I forgot about Gus Gus! My brother and I used to repeat his lines over and over again - trying to master the right tone ("Happy birthday!" "NO, no, no."). Hi, Eddy!

Feline Opines said...

Oh my whiskers, our Female Human is such a mosquito magnet! Right now she has the lumpiest, itchy legs I've ever seen!
Purrs & Head Bonks,
Jasmine

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I liked being 29 so much that I stayed there for 5 years!

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

I love the Cinderella mice to pieces!!! 29 is a great age...I'm celebrating my 11th year of being 29! LOL

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

I tend to like the later characters like Mulan. I liked being 36 most. I had just bought my first and only house and had enough energy to tackle both home and yard projects. A secret (unwanted) talent is attracting wasps. They like to come around and look me in the eyes. And sometimes they don't like what they see.

David and Suzanne McClendon said...

I love the quote in your #4. Regarding #3, we're twins! Mosquitoes have loved me my entire life, too. Nobody else needs to worry about being a skeeter snack with me around because I am the grand buffet. haha So, I wonder if we were together in the same space, you reckon we'd get those blasted bloodsuckers so confused that they'd just leave everyone else alone, or do you think they'd just call in reinforcements? :)

Have a blessed weekend!