Monday, September 11, 2023

May we never forget.

Today marks 22 years since the 9/11 terrorist attacks in the United States of America. Today, we honor all those who lost their lives or loved ones as a result of fateful September 11, 2001. May we never forget.

I'm not one of those who has an especially significant story relating to 9/11, but the memories are still rather clear in my head nonetheless. I was 12 years old when 9/11 occurred. When the Twin Towers were hit, my 7th grade English class was just about to begin. I remember the principal coming into the classroom with a look on her face that I can only think to describe as terrified, and terrifying. She handed a note to our teacher, who then proceeded to barely maintain composure as she told us what was going on in our nation. I'm Catholic and attended a Catholic school in my Illinois hometown, and the main thing I remember about that day is every student being ushered to the church where we could sit and pray, because we didn't know what else to do.

Today we pray and hope for peace.



***
Did you know?

Did you know that an estimated 300 trained search-and-rescue dogs were present at Ground Zero following the September 11 attacks? Did you know that the last person found alive at Ground Zero, roughly 27 hours after the towers collapsed, was found by a search-and-rescue dog? There were also therapy dogs present, offering comfort to anyone who might need it at Ground Zero. Sadly, both human and companion animal lives were lost as a result of the September 11 attacks, but they shall all be remembered.

4 comments:

Eastside Cats said...

It was a very sad day all 'round, and for a long, long time afterward.

pilch92 said...

Perfect drawing for today. XO

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Beautiful remembrance. I remember that day as clearly as if it was yesterday.

messymimi said...

Sitting and praying was about the best we could do.