Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Our Wednesday Waterworld Preview (and the Three Day Quote Challenge: Day 3)

I'm not even going to pretend that this will be a Wordless Wednesday post, or even an Almost Wordless Wednesday post. So, that cat's out of the bag.

That being said, the first order of business is that my furbabies want to give a quick preview of our most recent project at home. With the help of their Pawpaw (my dad), we're in the process of setting up some fish tanks.
The top tank currently contains some minnows that came from a pond my dad set up in his backyard back in the summer. The bottom tank contains a frog that has been in the family and living at my parents' house for 15 years.
This frog, who lives its life behind glass painted by kitty cat and puppy dog noses, was originally named Steve by my sister and I. Then we found out that it was a girl. So, back in our adolescent days, my sister and I thereafter started calling it Stevenie (not Stephanie, but Stevenie, with the V pronounced and all that good stuff). The name stuck.
Believe it or not, the frog is actually a rescue, adopted by my family back when I was in grade school, after we found out that a friend of a family member had a frog they were planning on flushing because it kept eating their fish. So, we adopted it.

The furbabies are thrilled with the new arrivals, especially Toby, who has always had a crush on the frog. While the frog is more than used to being gawked at by four-legged furballs, I hope the fish aren't too traumatized. (Who am I kidding? Eddy's already been in the top tank once. I was too shocked to even consider grabbing photographic evidence at the time, so feel free to use your imagination when picturing this incident.)

Now, on to the next order of business. Today is my third and therefore final day of the Three Day Quote Challenge. One last time, here are the rules for this challenge:

1. Post for three consecutive days.
2. Choose and share one or three quotes each day.
3. Challenge three additional bloggers each day.

For Days 1 and 2, I shared two of my favorite quotes from two different authors (J.R.R. Tolkien and Oscar Wilde). I wanted to continue on this author quoting pattern of mine for Day 3 as well, and I decided to go with one of my favorite modern times author. I love a good, fun book, and I'm one of those who loves to read fantasy. So, I chose Neil Gaiman as my author to quote today. I had trouble picking my most favorite quote by him. Luckily, though, as seen above, the second rule in this challenge says to choose one or three quotes. Therefore, I chose three for today.

I love me a quote that is unique and fun, but even more so one that is profound and enlightening. That's about the best explanation I can give for choosing these three quotes in particular. Here they are:
"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." -Neil Gaiman
"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." -Neil Gaiman
"Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly." -Neil Gaiman
And, one last time, the last rule in this challenge is for me to challenge three more bloggers each day. I've chosen three blogs, but please feel no obligation or pressure to participate in the challenge. I know that not everyone has the time or desire to partake in blogging challenges, so please know that you only have to join in if you wish to and have time. I also tried to pick bloggers that I have not seen already nominated by another. That all being said, here are the three that I've chosen to challenge today:

1. Eric and Flynn's Adventures
2. angelswhisper2011
and, though this may make me a bit of a cheater,
3. anyone who would like to participate in this challenge but who has not found themselves on a list such as this one.

Thank you again, Ellen, for nominating me for this challenge! I love quotes, and I had a great time participating.

Happy (not-even-close-to-being-wordless) Wednesday, our furiends!



***
Our Tip of the Day:
Although this is certainly no law or hard and fast rule, it is often recommended to try to stick with names with two syllables when naming your pets. This is because names with two syllables perhaps best cater to an animal's attention to detail. Whereas one syllable names may not be long enough to catch an animal's attention, and whereas three or more syllables might be just long enough to make an animal lose interest or focus, two syllable names are a happy medium. Of course, this does not mean your furbaby has to have a two syllable name. If needed, perhaps the best thing to do is test out a couple of your favorite names and see to which one your new furbaby responds best.

12 comments:

Marg said...

That is really something about the frog being with you for so long. Amazing. He must be a very happy frog. Great quote. I like that a lot . And good tip about naming animals. Have a great day.

The Daily Pip said...

I had no idea frogs lived such long lives. That's amazing! I'm sure the fish will be fine. We ha a beta fish for awhile and he didn't seem bothered by the cats much at all.

All our animals have two syllable names as well.

Fur Everywhere said...

Love your quotes for today!! I had no idea frogs live that long - he is a lucky frog to have had you save him.

Thanks for the tip about the names! Milita's name has three syllables, but I often just call her Lita for short. :)

pilch92 said...

Those are all great quotes- how have I never heard of this author? Thank you for completing the challenge. I had no idea frogs lived so long, that is so cool that your family rescued him. I am sure the kitties will love fish and frog tv. Great tip on the naming of pets, I had never heard that, but luckily most of mine have 2 syllable names. I have heard cats respond well to the long e sound at the end of their names and mine seem to....I guess I am not wordless today either :)

meowmeowmans said...

Stevenie the frog has been a part of your family for a long time! Eddy went, um, swimming? Yikes.

Love the Neil Gaiman quotes, especially the second one!

Hugs and headbonks to you and your furry crew.

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Very impressive tank!!! And thinking back, my last four cats have had two syllable names. Mudpie loves it when I sing her name :)

Laila and Angel Minchie said...

Stevenie the frog is adorable! Wish we had one as a pet.

Annie Bear said...

Stevenie is a lucky girl. How funny that she's used to being ogled. How fun for the kitties to have a frog and some fish.

Lovely quotes!

I think with the exception of Pierrot, our kitties' names have always been two syllables.

The Island Cats said...

How cool to have Fish TV and Frog TV! The only frog we've ever seen wasn't even a frog but a toad and he was outside on our patio.

The Swiss Cats said...

We didn't know frogs could live so long ! Purrs

da tabbies o trout towne said...

fish tanx !! ???? now yur talkin grate snax time...uh, we meen nice tee vee viewin time !! ♥♥

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

I think you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay younger than I thought you were! :)
I didn't know frogs lived so long either! Oh the cats are gonna love those tanks!
love your quote, your writing and YOU! Thanks for tagging me a few days ago, will post mine next week catchatwithcarenandcody