Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Tuesday With Winky

You know who hasn't gotten to star on our blog in a while?


Winky! Winky owns my sister and lives at our house. She is the litter mate of my calico girl Tonks.

I am admittedly not the best at photographing black cats, a fact that is wholly the fault of my novice status as a photographer. Black cats are more than photogenic, especially if you know your way around a camera. I do not know my way around more than roughly two settings on a camera, and so I'm always glad when I actually manage a shot that shows off the richness of Winky's house panther fur.


Obviously, those shots are nothing grand. Winky was nestled in a cat tree by the window. I had to do some level of acrobatics to get the camera aimed at her, and I messed with my camera's settings to the best of my ability. All I can say is that I did my best, and the quality of these shots has nothing to do with Winky or her fur.

Regardless of all of the above, we hope you enjoyed seeing Winky today! This girl is a sassy one, and she's by far the most likely cat in the house to hiss or growl if she's not happy with what you're doing. This is especially true when it comes to nail trims. She can also be incredibly sweet, enjoys belly rubs for roughly 5 seconds, and she has a very loud purr. She also has the most mournful meow, which she'll use when the food bowls are even approaching empty.

Happy Tuesday to all!



***
Flashback Doodle of the Day

Yesterday we shared a cozy, bookish bedroom in our log cabin series of doodles. Sort of in line with that, for today's flashback doodle I thought we'd share a colorful bedroom scene I doodled up last year.


I'll admit that I often surprise myself with the types of interior design that show up in my sketchbook. When it comes to my own home, I prefer interior design that is more neutral or rustic. In fact, my current log cabin series of doodles is the type of interior design I'd love to have in my dream home. Nevertheless, my sketchbook also contains an array of settings that involve bright, lively, and pastel interior design, such as the flashback doodle above. That's certainly not my own personal living style, but I sure do enjoy drawing it nonetheless. Go figure. Then again, I guess that's sort of the point of art.



***
Did you know?

Did you know that the Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) deems that there are 22 breeds of cat that can have black coats? A standard cat in the Bombay breed is always black. Cat lovers can probably guess some of the other 21 breeds of cat than can have black as a coat color. If you're curious, we'll go ahead and list out the 21 breeds that, in addition to the Bombay cat, the CFA recognizes as being potential black cats. These black cat breeds are the American bobtail, American curl, American shorthair, American wirehair, British shorthair, Cornish rex, Devon rex, exotic shorthair, Japanese bobtail, LaPerm, Maine coon, Manx, Norwegian forest cat, oriental, Persian, ragamuffin, Scottish fold, Selkirk rex, Siberian, sphynx, and Turkish Angora.

9 comments:

Lone Star Cats said...

You're gorgeous Winky!

Eastside Cats said...

Cameras have settings that always want to balance the light against dark, so the human must work with those settings...and, of course, the housepanther must stay still!
Now with three housepanthers, I'm challenged every day to snap 'good' images. If we were outdoors, the natural light may (or may not) help the camera fix the shot, which is why The PO'M always looks so fab.
I may purchase a soft lighting fixture for my phone, to see if it help my black cat photos.

pilch92 said...

Winky is adorable. You are much better at photographing black cats than I am. I love the drawing. I have a home section on Pinterest where I put everything I want to have in my dream home. I did not know so many breeds had black cats.

Robin said...

Black cats are pawsome! Winky is a gorgeous kitty. I love those golden eyes. It can be difficult to get just the right lighting and shadow composition when photographing a black kitty.

catladymac said...

Her expression in the first photo is especially wonderful !

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

Those are gorgeous shots of Winky! So photogenic.

The Island Cats said...

You did a great job photographing Winky. But then, you have a great subject. :)

meowmeowmans said...

These are great photos of beautiful Winky!

messymimi said...

Winky is beautiful! While i wouldn’t want a pink room for myself, it is a very pretty design.