Friday, November 1, 2019

Friendly Fill-Ins

Happy Friday! We hope that those of you who celebrate Halloween had a happy, haunted, and safe day yesterday! Are you hyped up on Halloween candy? Yes? No? Maybe so? Well, either way, are you ready to give the Friendly Fill-Ins a shot? In case you missed the fill-in statements yesterday, we'll shared them again here. Ellen of 15andmeowing came up with the first two, and I came up with the second two.


1. I never read _________.

2. I mainly read _________.

3. The beginning of a new month _________.

4. _________ makes me feel silly.


I filled these in myself, and my answers are below in bold.

1. I never read romance novels.
(Many books have romantic subplots, and I generally don't mind that, especially if it's written in a believable way. That being said, I definitely do not gravitate towards books that are plain and simply in the romance genre. That's just not my thing.)

2. I mainly read fantasy novels.
(I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my love for fantasy before, probably on multiple occasions. Though fantasy is very likely what I read the most, I also still read a fair share of books in genres like mystery, suspense/thriller, horror, and even historical fiction.)

3. The beginning of a new month means writing the wrong date for days on end.
(My day job is at a place where I have to write the date roughly a gazillion times every day. It's also a place where if you make an error when writing on a document, you have to write an error code and initial your error. Every time a new month rolls around, I always end up having to write countless error codes on documents because my brain and writing hand always get stuck in the previous month.)

4. Realizing I worried for nothing makes me feel silly.
(This fill-in and my answer were prompted by a recent health "scare" I had with Evan. Be prepared for a dreadfully long explanation now. The other day, I noticed Evan had a decently sized brown spot on the bridge of his nose. I figured he had simply gotten something on his nose, especially given that I hadn't even noticed the spot earlier that same day. I could not get the spot to rub off of his nose, though, and neither could my sister. I figured at that point it must be a scuff or scab, and then I started thinking the worst. My boy Evan loves sleeping by our big glass screen door, especially when it's bright and sunny. He's also a ginger boy, and all that combined then had me convinced that the spot on his nose was skin cancer. This all happened over last weekend, and by Saturday night I was contemplating when I should get him in to be seen by the vet and have the spot tested the following week. That Sunday night, though, Evan came over to me and I noticed that, of course, part of the brown spot was gone. I rubbed a finger over the spot, and suddenly it was more than happy to rub off. The whole time it was just something stuck to Evan's nose, and his nose is now perfectly normal and fine. Though worrying about our furbaby's health is nothing to feel silly about, I really did feel silly about this one. I had already expressed my concerns about skin cancer to my sister and parents, and yet the whole time the spot really was just something stuck to Evan's nose.)


Now it's your turn!
To add your link to the Friendly Fill-Ins Linky list, just click HERE!
You can also click on the badge below to add your link.


You are also welcome to complete the fill-ins in the comments below,
or in the comments on Ellen's blog, 15andmeowing.



***

We mentioned during Eddy's set of Halloween bloopers last week that she had yet more Halloween bloopers to share this week. Again, these bloopers star the spooky little dude who always tries to annoy the furbabies here all throughout October. In these bloopers, you'll see Eddy let the ghostly little ghoul know what she really thinks of him.



You showed him, Eddy. He sure got the end of that deal, though, the poor little ghost. Eddy hopes that prompts the spooky dude to never come back again. He might obey, at least until next October.

Happy Friday, friends!



***
Doodle of the Day: Flashback Friday

For today's flashback doodle, I decided to share the exact same doodle I originally shared last November 1. This doodle was actually one I scribbled up for a Thoroughly Poetic Thursday poem I wrote for the beginning of last November, but it does illustrate my general thoughts on November. This month is a confusing one, at least for me, because I'm always still hanging onto my love of Halloween, yet Thanksgiving is just around the corner for those of us in the US, and all the while you're reminded of Christmas everywhere you go. So, I thought this mishmash doodle would suffice for today.


This doodle is also pertinent to me for a number of other reasons. First of all, it snowed yesterday, on Halloween. Also, I already have a family Thanksgiving gathering going on this weekend. Due to some scheduling issues, my mom's side of the family is indeed celebrating Thanksgiving incredibly early this year. For that reason, I'll be baking pumpkin pie and prepping for a Thanksgiving feast today, right after Halloween. I feel so seasonally confused right now, and that doodle up there kind of fits my thoughts on the matter.

All of the above being said, I'll forewarn you that I'm not quite ready to part ways with Halloween doodles just yet. I don't think I'll be sharing any more blatant Halloween scenes, but I'm thinking that some cat-o'-lanterns and maybe other witchy kitty things will still play roles in some upcoming doodles. We hope you all don't mind.



***
Tip of the Day

Just as we did in October, this November we'll be sharing repeat tips from last November. This is because last November's tips touched on topics that seem important enough to repeat. This month's repeat tips will include topics such as cancer in pets, diabetes in pets, and Thanksgiving pet safety. So, here we go.

November is Pet Cancer Awareness Month. Our first tip on this topic is actually about none other than spaying and neutering. Spaying and neutering your furbabies is not only important for of population control, but also because, like humans, they can develop cancers of the reproductive tract and related systems. This can include uterine cancer, mammary cancer, and prostate cancer.

What's more, timing of spaying and neutering can also be crucial. It is important to ensure that a kitty or pup is of course old enough and big enough for neutering, but also not too old. This is because, for example, there is an increased risk of mammary cancer in female cats and dogs who are allowed to go through one or more cycles prior to being spayed. We could go on and on about this topic, but let's suffice it to say that, as most of you certainly know, it's incredibly important to spay and neuter your cats and dogs for more reasons than one. We'll even say it again. Please spay and neuter your kitties and pups, and do so before they can be affected by an increased risk of cancer.

10 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

Lorraine,

Who you're gonna call? Eddy! That's right, forget the Ghostbusters. Eddy's got this covered and literally, by sitting on those ghosts covering them with her kitty fur. :) #4 is a good response. I sometimes feel silly for worrying, too. I try to not do that...worry that is because when things are out of your hands, there is nothing you can do about it. I remembered years ago when DH had a four hour round trip commute how I worried about him if I didn't hear from him when he got to work or if he ran late getting home. I finally told myself, "Self...if you don't see any official-looking guys in blue uniforms on your doorstep then all is well with DH.'. That helped to elate most of my concerns over the years. Thanks for hosting the Friday Fill-ins. Love your art as always, too. Have a great weekend. I can't believe it's November!

Sandee said...

It's fun to see what folks read and what they don't.

Thank you for co-hosting the fun.

Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

Eastside Cats said...

I used to read historical romances as a young woman; nowadays I read books in so many different genres! Thank goodness for audiobooks; they've made such a huge impact on my day-to-day life, since with my commute and full-time job, I don't have a lot of sit-down-and-crack-a-book time, but I can listen to a reader for the almost 2 hours in the car! Too bad not many cat books have been made into audiobooks...

Yvonne said...

Great fill-ins as always. I am often guilty of #4. I'm so glad Evan is alright. Have a great weekend!

pilch92 said...

Great fill-in answers. I am glad Evan's nose was only a scare. I know what you mean though, I always jump to conclusions and start researching on the internet until I can find something to sooth my mind until I can get the cat to the vet.
That must be a pain with the date. You need a stamp for it :) Good job ghost busting Eddy, such a cutie. And I love that drawing. I hope you have a nice early Thanksgiving. XO

Melissa, Mudpie and Angel Truffles (Mochas, Mysteries and Meows) said...

That poor little ghostie!!! I don't blame you at all for freaking out about the spot on Evan's nose. Worrying is what makes us good cat moms.

Cathy Keisha said...

Way to go Eddy! You deaded the dead ghost.

Every time you mention fantasy books I ax if you're familiar with Andre Norton or PM Griffin who just happens to be my Aunt Pauline.

Thans for co-hosting the hop.

Pam and Teddy said...

Oh yes I don't read romance novels either....I prefer to LIVE my romance instead of reading about it. LOL I'm so happy that the spot on Evan's nose was NOTHING. Once in a while I find something buried in Teddy's fur that I'm convinced is a bug - but when I get it off/out it's just "yard stuff" !!! It pays to be alert though - you just never know.

Hugs, Pam

The Island Cats said...

Don't feel silly for worrying about Evan's nose. You should hear some of the things the mom has done with us...and actually dragged us to the vet to get checked out!

messymimi said...

But i am sure you would rather feel silly for worrying than to have something to actually worry about. Anyway, it's time for turkey already, i am so not ready!